black finish on cherry

I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the dark cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top. Rather than trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat the top flat black. This is a formal piece in my living room so I would rather not paint it.Does anyone Know if there is a stain or other coating I can use?
Len
leonard wrote:

Paint it flat black, use a couple of coats of black acrylic and then a couple or 3 coats of flat varnish or as near to flat as you can get. It's the glossy black paint that looks so wrong.
Josie
leonard wrote:

Yer jokin' right? Yer not? OK, Sherwin-Williams latex Kid's Room green, with high-gloss polyurinestain, 3-4 coats over that.
Or you could take the finish off, plane/sand out the dings and shellac it. Your choice.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

If the veneer is too thin it may not take planing and sanding very well and the green paint and polyurethane isn't such a bad idea. I'd go for a deeper green :).
Josie

In anticipation of future chips and scratches, you might as well just paint the whole unit flat black.. much more time efficient... hell, everyone paints cherry, right?? Mac 03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears

I had good results using black leather dye.

This is a perfect excuse to purchase a larger TV.
already did, a small one a 45 incher