black finish on cherry

I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the dark cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top. Rather than trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat the top flat black. This is a formal piece in my living room so I would rather not paint it.Does anyone Know if there is a stain or other coating I can use?

Len

Reply to
leonard

Paint it flat black, use a couple of coats of black acrylic and then a couple or 3 coats of flat varnish or as near to flat as you can get. It's the glossy black paint that looks so wrong.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Yer jokin' right? Yer not? OK, Sherwin-Williams latex Kid's Room green, with high-gloss polyurinestain, 3-4 coats over that.

Or you could take the finish off, plane/sand out the dings and shellac it. Your choice.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

If the veneer is too thin it may not take planing and sanding very well and the green paint and polyurethane isn't such a bad idea. I'd go for a deeper green :).

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

In anticipation of future chips and scratches, you might as well just paint the whole unit flat black.. much more time efficient... hell, everyone paints cherry, right?? Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

flat black.

I had good results using black leather dye.

Reply to
joeljcarver

"leonard" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

This is a perfect excuse to purchase a larger TV.

Reply to
Patriarch

already did, a small one a 45 incher

Reply to