Bidding on ebay

Page 3 of 4
I'm sorry but your point is so micro-menial that I couldn't care less. I think no one else cares either. good luck with your arguments in your future.
Alex
LRod wrote:

PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS ......
And more PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS .....
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Methinks you are confusing _morals_ with _ethics_.
scott
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:27:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Same questions asked before (and unanswered) apply. How is it an ethical/moral shortcoming for the seller to divulge the reserve amount of his own auction to someone who asks?
That's my micro-menial (whatever that is) question.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

PISS PISS PISS PISS PISS
Actually, it's not. Anyone can ask so that puts them all on equal footing, just as long as you tell everyone who asks.
We quit using reserves. Kept getting mail asking what the reserve is/ was, kept telling them they would have to bid and find out.
Now we do higher opening bids. Purpose is bidders will know something's sold when they make the bid.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:27:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

How is disclosing a reserve unethical? <G>
Barry

Okay perfect! MORALS is what I meant. Alex

OOPS! I meant ETHICS! WHOOPSY! Alex

you may know what you mean, but nobody else here can figure it out. either we're all butt stupid, you are really bad at explaining things or you're blowing smoke.
which is it?
AArDvarK wrote:

So do SELLERS who have MORALS reveal the reserve to every BUYER who asks?
Mitch Berkson

well like i said, i think you need to rethink your process.
a search of completed items speaks volumes and is all you need to do. it tells you the actual going rate (vs the sellers reserve which only tells you what the seller wants for it), if the price is rising or falling, how often such items come up, and it takes about 2 minutes.
bottom line, if you dont know what the actual real going rate for an item is, you cannot make an informed decision about what to bid. the sellers reserve is meaningless except to the seller.
randy
xrongor wrote:

Admittedly I may be overvaluing my time, but, to tell you the truth, it's not even worth the time it takes me to submit a bid if there's a chance it will be lower than an undisclosed reserve. I don't need to spend my time helping a seller do market research.
Mitch Berkson

after eliminating people that wont bid if shipping is too high and people who wont bid on reserve auctions, no wonder i get such good deals on ebay <g>
randy
I've sold maybe 500 items on eBay and I think I only used a reserve once (an original Dali painting), but I think I understand why the seller wouldn't want you to know the reserve. If you know the reserve you might not bid. No problem, right? As you said it's an auction and if you aren't going to meet the reserve then why even bid. However, from the seller's point-of-view an auction is a competition and even if YOU aren't willing to meet the reserve your bid might cause someone else to increase their bid. This wouldn't be true if everyone just set their top price and forgot about the auction, but people get competitive.
For what it's worth, I just set a low starting price (under $10) with no reserve and let the market drive the price up. In almost all cases it does. All it takes is two people to get the price up to a reasonable amount. The only time you get burned in this situation is if only one person wants to bid. If that's the case then the item being auctioned probably isn't worth anything anyway. YMMV
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Unisaw A100" < snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
AArDvarK wrote:

Moral? Are you kidding? Why is it unfair to reveal the reserve to any bidder who requests it?
Mitch Berkson

How exactly is that unfair? Anyone who is willing to give it away will probably give it to anyone.
I prefer to list reserves right in the text, as the "How much is the reserve?" email gets to be a pain.
I don't understand why a reserve needs to be a secret. If the item is worth more than the reserve, the free market will carry it higher. If the reserve is unrealistic, it won't be met.
A good bidder's bottom line is this, if you bid what the item is worth, and the reserve isn't met, walk away. If the reserve is met while you think the item is still a decent value, stay! This is regardless of if the reserve is public, provided via email, or secret.
People who think of auctions as games, doing no research on the true value of an item, deserve to pay too much. Hey, they set the selling price! <G>
Barry

-snip-
Alex, that might be arguable. I would argue the point this way:
Let's assume you are selling with an undisclosed reserve. I, as a bidder, request that you disclose the reserve to me. You do so. I can then either choose to place a bid at or above the reserve price, or I can decide the price is too high and go away.
If I decide the price is too high and go away, there has been no effect on the auction or the other bidders. No effect means that no harm has been inflicted therefore no unfair/unethical activity has occurred. (This assumes that an unfair/unethical action always results in harm to some party.)
If I decide to place a bid at the reserve price or higher, the effect is the same whether or not I had advance knowledge of the reserve price. The bid is entered at the reserve price (even if my maximum bid was higher) and the amount of the reserve price is immediately revealed for all to see. At that point, the existence of a reserve is moot. My knowing the amount of the reserve has not given me any advantage over any of the other bidders, so again, no harm inflicted, no unfair/unethical activity.
Just my (possibly weird) view of the situation.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Mitch Berkson wrote:

I agree. I won't waste my time with a mystery reserve.

It's for sellers who wish to start the bidding low without having to actually sell below a secret price.
Used to entice people to bid. Dubious effectiveness; I generally pass on auctions with a reserve, and I suspect that most would actually fetch a higher price without one.
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://www.freshcoffee.biz

That's good enough thinking about it, I think an RP should only be used for fine things that are "must haves" and of a high value.
Alex