Bidding on ebay

Page 2 of 4  


the problem with this thinking is that it keeps the power in the hands of the seller. if you ignore the reserve, and the other bidders, and simply bid what you want to pay you will either get it or you wont. same as if you knew what the reserve was. if knowing the reserve would change how much you might bid i think you need to rethink your bidding process.
it just takes enough discipline to ignore what you cannot control. the only thing you can control is how much you want to pay and imho you should decide this before bidding. if you allow external factors such as the sellers reserve to change how much you are willing to pay you are playing into the sellers hands.
by ignoring the reserve, the worst thing that can happen is you lose the auction either by being outbid or by not meeting the reserve. by playing into the reserve the worst thing you can do is pay too much. id rather lose the auction than pay too much.
randy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
xrongor wrote:

The problem with this is that the buyer has to waste his time researching what he thinks is a fair price for the item and may, ultimately, find that that price is lower than the reserve price. Knowing the reserve would affect the decision of whether to spend time determining, with greater accuracy, what to bid.
Mitch Berkson
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
EBay is an auction. I think its quite customary practice in an auction where a reserve is set to not disclose the reserve price until it has been met. This gives the seller somewhat of an advantage in that bidders, who might not otherwise have made a bid if they had known the reserve, get caught up in the excitement of a bidding competition, and pay more than what they would may have otherwise paid.
Gary

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Gary wrote:

Is this the "moral" reason Aardvark was talking about?
UA100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

sheesh ... can't you figure out what I wrote ??
"sometimes SELLERS have MORALS and will not reveal to single BUYERS because it would UNFAIR to other buyers to whom the reserve was NOT revealed to. That's all it is. SIMPLE.
Alex
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

been
who
what
gary summed it up nicely. if you are prone to getting caught up in a bidding competition you are going to pay too much. the ONLY way to get the best prices on ebay is to determine the fair market value via your own methods and ignore the reserve. the worst that will happen is you will lose the auction, but at least you wont be overpaying based on some sellers arbitrary reserve price.
if you know what something is worth, and make an informed decision on what to bid, the reserve price is meaningless.
randy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AArDvarK wrote:

Absolutely and without a doubt no problems there. The trouble is, after you'd written what you'd written (below) I asked a question and it was that very question that went unanswered. As a matter of fact, a couple of others also asked and their questions went unanswered.

Actually Ard, what I was wondering, and the gist of what I was asking, that part that hasn't been answered was, why is this "moral" and how is it unfair to other bidders?
Simple question really. Care to ponder it a minute and get back to us on it? Please take your time.
UA100, who is wondering, if Ard's panties bunch up any tighter she'll be squealing...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

woohoo ... an attack of a reply as unwarrented. Sorry but you seem not to be the shit worth replying to ... lower than shit? OOPS! Sorry I replied asshole ...
Alex
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

alex.
you don't get it, do you?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AArDvarK wrote:

So what you're say is, you don't know?
Thanks.
UA100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

THIS reply from someone invoking a morals aspect?
How about just answering the question, "how does revealing/not revealing a reserve amount involve morals?"
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
LRod wrote:

LRod,
He can't because he doesn't know.
UA100
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You're probably right. But his panties are definitely in a wad.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
crap, any moron can figure out what I said ... SO simple...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

yep. you said it was immoral for a seller to reveal his reserve to just one buyer.
care to explain?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sure. And no problem. In the very first place I said some sellers *have morals* and therefore *will not* reveal their reserve prices.
Meaning: to any single buyer over other buyers, in order that bidding remain fair to all involved.
I never* said it is immoral for a seller to reveal.
I did say it is no big deal if a seller does, if all they care about is the $$$$$$$$$$, then not mentioning that it would still be unfair to others involved in any given auction.
Quite a set of differences. If you had read it clearly it would be obvious.
Does that make any sense, as I explained it now? Because you never had me flamed one bit for you limiting your own comprehension.
Alex
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
And I should have said "go back and read it yourself" because it's all there, clear as toilet water on a freezing day ...
Alex
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

But in order for your "morals" clause to make any sense, there must be some nexus between "knowledge" and "fairness" that you have yet to establish.

Uh, you mean there's some other, altruistic reason for an auction? Charity, world hunger? If I'm putting an object up for auction all I am interested in is the "$$$$$$$$$$." What else should I be concerned about?

Really. I am a seller with a reserve. One of the potential bidders askes me what the reserve is. I tell him. How does that net me more money? How does that affect other bidders?

No. Because you haven't established how the revealed reserve has an effect on either the bidding or the other bidders.

The "panties in a wad" didn't cause you to make an immoral outburst? That's a sure sign of being flamed.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well, too bad for you and your feelings about it, my original intention was about explaining some eBay stuff as it actually is per my experiences and what I know. You really have no genuine flame for me and I am definitely not burned. And you have no argument either. You may ask a seller one day and they may tell you: "sorry that would be unfair to the other bidders", that's all it is about, so take it somewhere else on the back of your own goat, because neither of you got mine with these rediculous arguments, adios.
Alex
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

No it wasn't. You tried to imply that a seller who discloses his reserve has done something morally deficient. In fact, this is what you said:

And in case we weren't clear about that (which we weren't) you went on to say:

Which you neglected to explain.

But that wasn't the point you were making. You said

Now you say:

But it isn't, because you claim it's about:

In fact, you made a "rediculous" statement and now you refuse to acknowledge how ridiculous it is or back it up with an explanation.

I have no idea what this means.

Hmmm, your record says otherwise (from your response to Unisaw A100 when he observed your panties in a wad):

I'd say your goat was got good. Bye.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.