Best Way to Protect Redwood

Bought the little ones a redwood playset over the weekend. Given the expense, I'd like to protect the wood so it lasts, and so it will have some resale value, once they outgrow it.
I'd prefer something not too toxic (i.e. latex).
This will give you an idea of the set:
http://www.rainbowplay.com/carnival_series_106.shtml
| Bought the little ones a redwood playset over the weekend. Given the | expense, I'd like to protect the wood so it lasts, and so it will have | some resale value, once they outgrow it. | | I'd prefer something not too toxic (i.e. latex). | | This will give you an idea of the set: | | http://www.rainbowplay.com/carnival_series_106.shtml | |
There are a whole host of finishes for the playset. Before you try any of them you might want to read what they have to say about it at
Wood Handbook Wood as an engineering material. General Technical Report 113. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 463 p.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm
There is a section which deals with "Biodeterioration of Wood" and another on "Finishing of Wood" which will be of some interest to you. It certainly opened my eyes.
-- PDQ
| Bought the little ones a redwood playset over the weekend. Given the | expense, I'd like to protect the wood so it lasts, and so it will have | some resale value, once they outgrow it. | | I'd prefer something not too toxic (i.e. latex). | | This will give you an idea of the set: | | http://www.rainbowplay.com/carnival_series_106.shtml
I've had good experience with Penofin Oil so far.
All finishes today are non-toxic one cured. Most, but not all, are when in the can.