Best three easy improvements to my shop. How about yours?

Page 2 of 6
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:09:13 GMT, "John Broadway"

I did not list the DC as in the top 3, because I got a DC from the very beginning. I guess I take the DC for granted now, but there's a BIG difference in sneezing/coughing if I forget to turn it on! The cordless remote ON/OFF switch was an easy improvement.
On 06 Feb 2004 04:38:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote:

I'm with ya' brother!
Every once and a while, I pick up bottom sections with wheels from Sears. Add a rubber or wood mat on top, and you have a great shop assistant. The chests can roll righ to the tools and provide easy access to router bits, saw jigs, measuring and marking tools, etc...
The most I've ever paid was $175, on sale, for an 8 drawer unit. I'm up to 4 of them, with one top unit.
Barry
Yikes! I just spent $1500 on mine. Then again, it is a Snap-on unit.
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

On 06 Feb 2004 15:08:56 EST, Mark and Kim Smith
Mine honestly aren't anywhere near Snap-On quality, but I think they're plenty adequate.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Hi Barry,
I hope you don't think I was knocking your tool boxes, as I certainly wasn't! I was just bragging a bit. The important part is that the box holds what it's supposed to and you are satisfied with it! Besides, that Snap-on I have is a baby compared to my "train"! www.bunchobikes.com/mac5.jpg Throw in a couple of cheapie Craftsman for other uses and I'll have more boxes than I'll know what to do with when I retire!!
On 06 Feb 2004 21:45:04 EST, Mark and Kim Smith

Not at all! <G>
Barry
flip up disk/belt sander and osilating sander, when down it is just the miter station extension
heat and AC
lots of cabinets, a specific place for everything... well eventually, I need 2 more cabinets.
my next 3; utility sink, real workbench, overhead air reel in the shop and another in the garage.
BRuce
Rich Stern wrote:

1) Rearranging my shop so the tablesaw was at the end and not in the middle (gave me way more room).
2) Hung power cords across the ceiling and dropped down to tool areas (keeps cables off the floor) -- I know, I know against code, but I have to build a shed to put my outdoor crap in and then I can make my shop permanent -- I'll run conduit at that point
3) Snagged a heavy duty table/cabinet with shelves underneath for free and use it as my assembly table.
3a) Keep my shop clean. Now when I have 30-60 min to spare instead of looking at a pile of tools everywhere and thinking "That'll take 30-40min just to clean up and give me space to work" I just start working. Ahh...I love it -- thanks for the advice Tom Plamman!
Mike

1) Better lighting through white painted walls/floor. I can find dropped hardware and there is no concrete dust in my lungs any more. Whew!
2) Assembly table with cabinet storage underneath. I store all my abrasives (few), cleaners (many) and cauls there. Te room in the middle will soon be an additional pair of shelves. The 5" casters will roll over a tuba fore if needed. I'll be redoing the side- mounted clamp posts into a vertical clamp cart, also on 5" casters. (Side mounting made the cart unstable.)
3) I'm in the process of building cabinets to store all my tools to keep them in easy reach.
========================================================== Save the Endangered Boullions from being cubed! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==========================================================

Forget where I read it, perhaps Fine Woodworking, but someone gave a tip that every time you enter your shop, put away 10 items. Takes only a minute, and your shop becomes less cluttered very quickly. In fact, sometimes it gets hard to find 10 items which are out of place.

around to

changes
the
get
hooked up

disconnect
when
the
semi-portable
The
saw,
around the

screwdrivers,
around
Somehow,
1) Put the less used machinery on wheels - made room for more machines!
2) Cleaned it right to the corners! (4 yrs late)
3) Moved clamps/finishing/sanding supplies and equipment directly adjacent to the assembly area, rather than the "efficient use of space" place that they previously occupied.
4:) Moved most of my remodeling equipment/tools to a shed... who needs two portable tablesaws (in addition to the 3 hp cabinet saw) in their shop anyway???
1. A space-saving tool cabinet that opens up. This organizes my hand tools where I need them. Maybe not easy, but it was fun to build.
2. Installed 7 electical circuits (one circuit is 220v) with lots of outlets. I put an outlet every 4 feet, plus a few about waist high and overhead. Like clamps, you can't have too many outlets. No more sanding and pulling the plug out!
3. Finishing the walls (drywall). I finished my walls just like it was a living space, except I installed beefier baseboards to take the abuse. Painted the trim and walls white. Makes cleanup easy and adds needed light.
On 06 Feb 2004 04:38:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote:

1) White painted walls.
2) More circuits and outlets.
3) Lumber rack with integrated chopsaw (miter saw) station.

^^^^^ Would love to see a pic of this.
The pic is on the way to your email box.

My "shop" is my two-car garage, so every square inch is precious.
Best four improvements:
1. Wall-mounted lumber rack 2. Retractable power cord (overhead installation) 3. Putting bench saw, power mitre saw and router table on moveable bases. 4. Built large shelf unit (half of one wall) using 1" x 12"s. (Holds lots of stuff)
The kids are at an age to where they need less of my attention and I can get back to woodworking, so:
1) Move the bike hobby off to one corner of the shop. www.bunchobikes.com
2) Buy two tool boxes. ( Actually, one was a gift. ) A Snap-on for the "mechanical" type of tools and a Craftsman for wood working tools exclusively.
3) Addition of some new items. Mostly a Delta 6" jointer. Also a sliding mill table to modify and improve the "drill press attachment" Delta mortiser.
Lights, outlets, benches and storage were the first things I created years ago. I make my living as a mechanic and one thing I can't stand is working with a drop light. So there are more flourescents than anyone should be allowed to have!
Rich Stern wrote:

www.bunchobikes.com
OOH OOH OOH. A Schwinn Stingray! Man, I saved my paper route money for a long time to buy mine! Mine was red, though. How I wish I would have tucked that away somewhere instead of selling it when I started riding dirtbikes.
Mark, how much are those things worth these days?
Keith Carlson wrote:

A Fastback, like I have, in decent condition will hit $300. The earlier the Stingrays, the more they will bring. An early 63-64 with a first year only paint job brought $4000 on eBay recently. Krates will regularly bring $800- $2000. These are averages.
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 04:04:37 GMT, "Keith Carlson"

A guy that frequents our bike shop has a few crates. We currently have one of his Orange Crates on display, complete with an original store poster behind it.
Ah, the memories! <G>
Barry