Best srill, countersink, drive method

I've found myself getting more and more irritated at constanly having to change between drills, sinks, drivers etc. while working. Even when you plan it out to minimize changes, without fail, you (or at least I) always forget something and have to stop and change again.

I've been looking at couple of options. Certainly two drill/drivers would be handy - I've been thinking about grabbing one of those 12V Panasonics for about $50 for a second drill.

But beyond that, I picked up a Makita set of quick change drill, driver bits (sliding chuck system) and it's basicaly more trouble than it worth. Now I'm looking at Jack Rabbit and Snappy systems on McFeelys site. They appear to be a bit better quality. Experiences with either ? or other ?

Input ? What do you folks do ?

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

I use the Makita with no problems.

Reply to
CW

I use two Dewalt 12volt drills. Bought them used on ebay. I have 4 batteries and two chargers. I use an Amana carbide drill/countersink in one drill and the magnetic driver holder in the other. You get very fast at this and the two chargers make it easy. max

Reply to
max

I started with a Makita years ago (it may have improved in the mean time) and it sucked.

Went to the DeWalt. It was better but the Allen head socket screw holding the drill bit was so small, "HOW SMALL WAS IT?", it was frustratingly small to the point where I abandoned it after about the eleventy billionth time it came loose while drilling something. What I did like about it was you never lost track of the drill or the screw tip. Also, the counter sink wasn't sharpened up the side making it a chore when you wanted to deep countersink (for a plug) a hole.

Got the Hitachi but there's a slight problem and that's the fact that the screw tip isn't magnetized.

Got the Insty-Bit and so far I've liked it best of all. Really the only problem is that there is quite a bit of play in the screw tip but not enough to make it unusable. What I don't like about it is the screw tip is dis-lodged from the holder (you hold it or set it on the bench) while you're drilling and it becomes yet "one more thing to keep track of. I do like that there are a number of bits available and you can deep counter sink with it.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I generally use 2 drills. But uh, where do know that you can get a 12 volt Panasonic Drill???

Reply to
Leon

I bought a Makita, and I find that the problem with it is that the drill bit is sized for a pilot hole, and not a clearance hole.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Leon - there's always a bunch of them on Ebay - they only have the small (1.2, 1.3AH) batteries - but i thought for my 'non-production' kind of use they might be fine. And the larger 15+V units get great reviews. For $50, worth a try.

Reply to
Jim Bailey

You're right about that - so what now - good excuse for 3 drill/drivers maybe ?

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Mine has pilot, clearence and countersink. The drill bit is adjustable for depth. Correction: The one I broke was a Makita. The one I'm using now is a Craftsman.

Reply to
CW

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Leon

I'm partial to smaller drills, and more of them. I've got a 9.6 and a

12, and I can't ever see myself getting a cordless rig bigger than that tasty looking Panasonic 15.6. The quick change systems are "ok", but still more effort than simply switching drills. And imo if you need so much torque/usage that you're burning through 18v you may have the wrong tool for the job.

I really like the impact driver revolution. Can't wait to afford one!

JP

********** looking for sharpening station suggestions
Reply to
Jay Pique