Best Shoes for Concrete Shop Floor

Possibly yours didn't fit right? I dunno, but mine feel great.

I have worn "only" Rockports since 1987. With that in mind, not all Rockports are made equally. Typically when considering apples to apples and oranges to oranges, the Rockports win out over any shoe that I have worn. Since 1987 I have spent many many hours standing and walking on concrete floors and my home has all ceramic tile floors.
Forget the dress shoe for standing on concrete for extended hours. Better yet, the Rockport Pro Walker, but, the soles of these shoes wear out rather quickly on concrete. The best Rockport that I have worn for working on concrete is the Rockport Hiking Shoe, I prefer the water proof style as I do a lot of work outside. I have had 3 pairs of these shoes and have literally worn them 6 out of 7 days of the week. I bought the first pair in 1996. To recap that, 3 pair have lasted me 8 years and basically worn daily. Absolutely comfortable with lots of support and hold up very well.

I've worn nothing but Red Wings for the last 30 years. Cannot compare/contrast with Rockport as I have no firsthand experience with them. Red Wings seem a little pricey up front, but on a "per year" basis, they are dirt cheap since they last forever if given reasonable care. Very comfortable and well fitting. Only shoes I've had since getting out of the Marines that outlasted the soles and were worth resoling.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Now there's an image I could've done without... <g,d,&r>

Now that's good for a hearty chuckle, maybe even a guffaw.
todd
RE: Subject
The work shoe has yet to be made that I can wear for more than one (1) year.
I've tried Knapp, Red Wing, you name it, they all die in about a year.
A good insert will help a great deal, but they also fail.
HTH
--
Lew

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:25:52 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Inserts always ride up/down/sideways/out of place. I found the perfect shoe for my flat feet was the Reebok Classic Nylon (or the Saucony Jazz/Shadow) with over an inch of sponge rubber underfoot. NICE!
I just got 2 more pairs of Reeboks from www.zappos.com last month for under $60 on sale with free shipping.
SAS made a nice men's walking shoe which is nearly as comfy, as does Hush Puppy. All have spongy soles which work in lieu of cow mats.
------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ---------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques proclaimed... "Inserts always ride up/down/sideways/out of place."
Isn't that why they make carpet tape?
Tillman
Go Dubya!!! Bush 2004
I tend to be that way myself. About a year and the shoe/boot is gone. I think it has something to do with the shape of the foot nd the way you walk.

If you want to find comfortable boots look to what Letter Carriers or Police Officers wear. Rocky, or Bates..... Danner boots are incredible if you can afford the cha-ching. Just about everybody on the force wears one of those three.
I have a 2 pair of Bates' I picked up on sale at the Exchange, and I alternate them daily. I think that is the most important thing you cna do. Gives them a chance to dry out and they don't get funky. They have been through hell and back and barely show it. A quick buff in the morning before roll-call and the are ready for another day.
-- J G
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:43:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Well, I don't get ignored by the sales clerks! Bail costs are getting a little over-budget, 'though. 8-)
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Whatever you find comfortable, try sorbothane insoles in it...

Jay Pique wrote:

internet and they work great... i ran across them in a Sporting goods store in a shopping mall years ago.. they were like $49.95 and always on sale for $29.95 at this store. well the store went out of business and i then had to get them on the internet.. i have found them on sale on the internet for $29.95 one time.. then had to get them for $39.95 and then $49.95.... they are worth it.. i tried the reboks and others and found these non advertised shoes alot better for the money than those other paid althlete sponsored shoes....
My feet and joints were killing me the first few months after putting together a shop and working in it for several hours a day on weekends. I bought a matt to put in front of the table saw and drill press. The relief I got was profound. I purchased the interlocking rubber matts available at Lowe's.
Bob
Mon, Jun 21, 2004, 11:57pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JayPique) who doesn't want to be barefoot anymore, asks: I've googled <snip>
If it's your own shop, I'd put down cow mats, or let the sawdust build up a bit.
JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count. - Bazooka Joe