Best Shoes for Concrete Shop Floor

Page 1 of 2
I've googled and found some recs for Red Wing and Rockport (as well as a couple for running shoes and Birkenstocks) and figured I'd bore the crap out of you old timers by dragging it into the kitchen again. I'm leaning towards Rockports, as they've gotten the best press. Any strong opinions otherwise?
JP

Consider your present shoes with sole inserts. Dr. Scholl's has some very cushioning ones. Ed
The best that I have found are Rebock DMX, they have air cushoned soles with a tunnel between the front and back.
Jim
I think we went through this at least once before.
The conclusion was better to shod the floor than the feet. Some kind of cushioning pads in front of the workbench and other pieces of equipment where you spend a lot of standing time.
Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {'$2.oo slip-on canvas 'sneaks' ' when I anticipate painting, old deck shoes or Sears 'Adidis knock-offs' most other times. Except in dead of winter, then it's some cheap workbooks}

with a

Hi Ron, We must have gone through this more than once before because the time I followed it I think we decided that the proper shoes on concrete we the best (price vs convenience vs comfort) answer. I have a no-name pair of shoes with after market inserts and spend 8hrs with no problem although by the end of the day they are a bit heavy. Cheers, JG
Ron Magen wrote:

Cow mats are cheap and one-time purchase help in front of machines. I'm a Birkies guy some days, Reebok the next, something else the third. Sometimes I even change during a long day, because the angle, support, and containment difference helps.
My Rockports sure worked well for five hour days and a lot of walking at school.

Yip, a couple of anti-fatigue mats strategically placed in the shop are well worth the money, and your legs/back.
Here's a link for better than average quality/comfortable shoes. I've done the Birks', Rockports, insoles, runners etc, but these have , by far, been the absolute best http://www.ecco.com/ 8-12 hours a day in the shop, for well over a year and a half, still look and feel like new.
Cheers,
aw
A Dubya notes:

Local farm store. Cow/livestock mats. Cheaper, usually better than most others. THink of the environment they must last in during regular use.

Yabbut...how are your feet?
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker
Charlie hollered:

Indeed, I agree...

...extremely comfortable, no sense of fatigue or pain at the end of the day, doing the concrete conga . Which was common with other above mentioned products. IMO they're great tool ....
Cheers,
aw
A Dubya wrote:

Glad to see another ecco fan. Things seem to last forever, very comfortable, and for me anyway they're a perfect fit. Not cheap, but well worth the money. Won't buy anything else except for athletic shoes.
Incidentally, they have a variety of insoles--the ones in my hiking boots slipped around going up and down hills--I called them and then sent me a set with a different backing that didn't move.

--
--John

some cheap workbooks}
How 'd y'all attach them workbooks to the feet..Does Ducktape do the trick ? R

Y'know, they do call it 'book-binder twine' for a =reason=. *snicker*

trick ?

"Ah-So-o-o" William Holden, Stalag 17
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

In a former job I had to do a *lot* of trade shows. Many hours on the feet smiling at people moderately interested in my company's products. After a 3-day show I should have won an Oscar because people who came to our booth thought I gave a d*mn, when all I could think of was my aching feet.
On someone else's recommendation I bought the water-cushioned insoles. Although for the first hour they felt great, it was overall a bad move for my 40+ year old feet. When I stood still they put my toes to sleep. When I walked the incompressible fluid transmitted the shock to parts of my feet that had never hurt before. I threw them away, and suggest you avoid them.
-- Mark
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.no.spam.net says...

When I started my working years, I had a standup job. The other workers all suggested "ripple soles" and I bought a pair. Great! I understand the post office recommends them for postmen with a walking route.
IIRC, Mason shoes sells them. Others may as well, I don't know.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Personally I prefer steel toed work boots. Glad I had them on last week when I was putting a straight edge on a 10' x 12" x 1.5" oak board last week with my router. Finished up, lifted the guide off the board and the oak came down on my feet. Guess it was hanging over the edge of the bench a little more than I thought. Have a couple nice pairs of Terra work boots that are well cushioned in the sole and heel.
Rick

I second the steel-toe. I did landscraping as a summer-job in high school. You could wear shorts, but you had to have steel-toes. Not wanting to wear boots with shorts, I got a pair of steel-toed sneakers and loved the things. Kept them around for quite a few years, including when I was a bouncer/barback in college. Only time I "Used" the steel-toe was when I dropped a sweaty keg on my toe.
Here's a quick link I found using Froogle. I've never used the site, just providing a picture of a shoe:
http://www.newbalancecatalog.com/details.asp?ProductID=DS500BK
Jay

Rockports are fine. I've also had very good results from, believe it or not, standard GI combat boots (the real thing, not an imitation). The only real downside to the GI boots is that they take a while to put on or take off because of all the lacing. They're actually very comfortable.
Whatever you get for your feet, make sure to get some mats for the floor too. If you have a lathe, this is probably the most important place in the shop for a comfortable mat, because you'll be standing in that one spot for a long time. Rockler and Woodcraft both sell decent mats that aren't terribly expensive when they go on sale (frequently); the small blue ones at Woodcraft are softer than Rockler's, and IMO better suited to use at the lathe or other areas where you would stand in one place for a long time, whereas the stiffer mats from Rockler seem more comfortable to walk on.
Get some of the quick-don types - or maybe those zippers they used to sell.
Best mats I ever got came from the cargo deck of a KC 135. Wish I had cleared the entire dumpster. Also wish I hadn't been so generous with sharing.

not,
too.
for
I have known a few people that seem to like those but I could never see it. To me, combat boots were near the worst thing I ever wore. After basic training, I chucked mine. You couldn't give me a pair of those now. Wear Wolverines now. Spend 10 hours a day on concrete. No problem.

not,