Best plane for shooting

My work was done upon the F-4E, the plane that proved with enough thrust a rock can fly. (Glide ratio for an F-4 1 to 8 with forward motion being the one).
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

My vote for the most beautiful thing in the sky is the XB-70.
scott

Ah... The Batmobile... Very cool in it's own right!

I'm not looking for permission. I'm looking for recommendations so I can decide which one to get. :)
I've never used my block plane with my current shooting board because it has a much narrower side wall and it would cut away the guide edge and reduce the support I would get if I went back to a bigger plane. It seems best to use the same plane--or at least a plane with the same side wall thickness--so that the guide edge is as big as possible for the plane. (A few years ago I saw a Knight prototype photo showing a wooden shooting plane that had a really wide side wall for better contact.)
But some people say they are using lots of different planes. Does each plane have a dedicated shooting board? Am I overestimating the importance of this factor? I kind of feel like the guide edge on my existing shooting board has worn some (it's baltic birch plywood). Presumably it would wear faster if it was smaller.
I notice that somebody suggested the Lie Nielsen #9, which is of course an obvious choice, but at $350 for a plane that isn't really suitable for other jobs, it seems like a tough sell. (Didn't this plane used to cost upwards of $400?)
RE: Subject.
Actually, a heliicopter.
"The devil made me do it", as Flip would have said.
Lew

Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy have also played some great women characters, and quite likely are not gay.
Then there's Sigfried and Roy, who just came out, according to the tabloid I saw in my local supermarket Tuesday evening. No kidding, front page news! <G>

I use a LV bevel up jack plane with my shooting boards. I sometimes use a 5 1/2 bailey as well. They both do a nice job, the LV gets the nod though.

The No 9 is one of those "would be nice to have" things... I use my L-N No 4, 5 and 7 with the same shooting board with no ill effects.
My boys put a bit of wear on the end of the fence when they were learning how to shoot miters. I simply glued some walnut on the end and dressed it with a plane and it was as good as new. A side benefit of making the repair with walnut was it let the boys know that they were rocking the plane when they saw the dark wood shaving mixed in with lighter colored wood.
John

I don't about "best" but what I've been using is a wooden plane I made in the Krenov style with a Hock 1-3/4" blade and chip breaker. With my wooden plane, I've made it with a large enough opening on the top for the wedge and blade that this becomes a nature hand hold when the plane is sitting on its side. I've also used a #5 jack plane, but it's not as easy to grasp as the wooden plane.

remove ".invalid".

P51 Mustang.
--

-Mike-