Best Oil for Teak

This was covered a while back, but for some reason I can't find it...

What is the best oil finish for Teak on the exterior of a boat kept outdoors?

Thanks in advance, Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Absolutely NOTHING.

There are litterly hundreds of products sold for the purpose.

They can all be called little more than "sheep dip".

IMHO, let the teak go gray, scrub with a soft brush and salt water to clean.

BTDT

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My dad bought a boat with some teak trim on it around 1980. My sister got it when he passed away in 1995. The teak on it still looks very nice (not that old looking grey crap). The only thing that has ever been used is a little transmission fluid every year or two. They do sell "teak oil" at the boat supply stores and I am sure it is nice, but the transmission oil was recommended to dad when he bought the boat and has apparently been effective for 27 years. Probably any light oil will do, the transmission oil was probably recommended due to the red tint in it.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Reply to