Danish Oil or Teak Oil?

Is there any great difference between them? Which is best for

(a) external wooden gates (large); and

(b) kitchen wood surface?

I'm not sure of the exact wood in either case, except that both seem to be hard woods.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Yes. Danish oil isn't just oil, it's up to 30% varnish mix

Teak oil is almost anything, but it's usually a light non-film-forming oil (often also overpriced and no use to man nor beast)

Danish oil for the first. Apart from giving a rather matt finish, it's a tough old oil and good for outdoor uses.

Organoil (Australian) also do a good range of outdoor oils.

For kitchens, then I wouldn't use either. Either go with Liberon's Finishing Oil (a fairly typical film-forming oil) for furniture, or else simple mineral oil (Liquid Paraffin from the chemist) for salad bowls. Also search the ng for a thread a week or two back.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Interesting. So what would Coloron's Antique Oil be then?

The Medway Handyman

paint & finish makers are often quite helpful about giving details.

As it says "sheen", then I suspect it's a film-forming oil (i.e. it cures to make a surface layer). Most are.

Thus it's also probably a bad thing to use repeatedly on antiques, as it builds up continuously.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't think its meant to be used on antiques, I think thats just a catchy name. I've used it on untreated pine & it gives a really nice finish.

So its a kind of Danish Oil?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman