Best Jack'o'Lantern Carving Tool I've Used Yet

I forgot all about this one until my 5 y.o. reminded me today. Thanks Meg.
Going home tonight to pumpkins to carve for your little ones? For the longest time I decided that unless I was deserted in a forest of very small trees, the woodsaw in my Swiss Army knife was useless as... well, you know. Last year, at my daughter's suggestion, I found that little sucker can saw through pumpkins at an alarming rate. Of course it does nothing for scooping out that crap inside, but if you are destined for an evening of hurried pumpkin carving, I highly recommend it. It's fun too! The downside, naturally, is that you have to clean it up really well after.
Just thought I would share that little revelation. It is surprising what you'll learn from a little kid.
-- Best regards,
Howard ---------------------------------- Working wood in New Jersey snipped-for-privacy@inthewoodshop.org
Visit me "In the Woodshop" http://www.inthewoodshop.org /
It will also cut curves in 3/4" plywood. Be sure to let the blade cool before removing the last bits of sawdust. DAMHIKT Joe
Howard Ruttan wrote:

Drywall saw also works very well. Maybe I'll try the Rotozip when I get home tonight...
A Dog Named Stain wrote:

Hehehe. I'm a normite too.
"A Prarie Home Companion" had a skit about househusbands who made cinnamon rolls on their lathes & the like.
-- Mark
Gee, I hope no one tries it with a router. Joe
Mark Jerde wrote:

Apologies, but your fears have been realized.
http://www.extremepumpkins.com/whattoolworb.html
--
---- Remove the "fool" to email one.

"Joe Gorman" wrote ...

Next on WoodWorks with David Marks...
Pumpkin carving on the Multirouter!
;0)
--
Cheers,
Howard

<snip>
For many years I've used my X-acto knife set, the *heavy* handle with the 2 1/2 to 3" saw blade in it. Pointed enough to plunge cut, small enough to do curves, etc.
Nahmie
Howard Ruttan wrote:

Believe it or not ...
http://www.extremepumpkins.com/whattoolworb.html
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

I see this had already been posted. My news server is playing "catch up" today. LOTS of old messages are showing up.
-- Mark
I popped down to the shop, opened a pack of scroll saw blades, cut one off 'bout half way up so the cut end was pointy and the blade cut on the down stroke, I glued on small pieces of scrap on either side of the blade for a handle letting it sit in the clamp during dinner. I ended up with a great pumpkin carving saw that could turn sharper than anything I've purchased. I ended up carving Yoda.....
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

& knowledge to improve things. I think this lands somewhere north of neener, but still a little south of gloat. Nahmie
I found that an inexpensive drywall saw works well, better than a cheese knife.