Bending wood

Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table would look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a curved front would be just the ticket.
I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the steam generator.
Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?
Larry
On 9/19/13 1:06 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

For whatever reason, most North American hardwoods bend very well. Pick what you like and it will probably work great.
--

-MIKE-

Ash. Which was why it was used in the Wright Bros. flying machine for the landing skids.
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:06:21 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:

ed front would be just the ticket.

Most domestic woods bend fine. The real trick is to try and get wood that w as air dried. The kiln drying process is harsh on the wood and sort of hard ens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just add a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawing a nd fixture building, etc.
Bending is much more art than process. It can be a real hit and miss affair .
I'll look and see if I can find the videos of this one guy who weaves steam ed wood. He shows that taking a steamed piece of wood and bending it on one axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few seco nds and you can weave with it.
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:50:18 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

rved front would be just the ticket.

rdens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just ad d a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawing and fixture building, etc.

ne axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few se conds and you can weave with it.
OK, here is one video that shows the same concept, bending two directions. I remember know the guy I saw was twisting the wood as the third step, not weaving.
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:00:02 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

curved front would be just the ticket.

hardens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just add a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawi ng and fixture building, etc.

one axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few seconds and you can weave with it.

t weaving.
oops. Link http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/free-form-steam-bend ing-technique.aspx
In belched:

Easiest? Get some bendable plywood, take two pieces and laminate together in the curve you want and just add the veneer of your choice