Bending question

Any guess on how thin/thick a strip of 1/2 inch wide red oak needs to be for steam bending to a 12 - 14 inch diameter hoop?

Not really, but one data point:
Hoadley (in Understanding Wood) says that for better bending species (among which he lists white oak, but not red), one-inch stock can be free-bent to a 12-15" radius, and down to a 2" radius with a restraining strap. So I would GUESS that 1" of red oak could be bent to your desired 6-7" radius with a restraining strap.

alexy wrote:

<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?pageC626&category=1,42172&ccurrency=3&sid=>
or
http://tinyurl.com/mcg5l
Scroll down a bit and you'll see that they state this...
Based on air-dried 1" thick stock at 25% moisture content going into the steam box, the smallest bend radius you can achieve without risk of failure is shown in the table below. You can get tighter radii but at higher risks.
Species Smallest Radii Oak (red and white) 2" Hickory 2" Elm 2" Walnut 3" Ash 4.5" Cherry* 6" Maple** 8"
This is with compression straps, I'm sure.
JP

Thanks, Jay.
Hi Dave, You did notice that the oak is not dry. (25% MC). JG