Belt Sander Belt Tape

My familiarity with this problem goes back many years. When I faced the same experience of snapping belts, I was told that improper storage was the culprit, ie storage in an un-heated, un-cooled building.
I was also told the manufacturers of the belts have assembly presses which cannot be duplicated at home.
The lesson to be learned here, IMHO, is to purchase small lots as needed. Is there anyway to find out the date of manufacture as per a carton of milk?
Joe G

together, heat up with an iron, and voila, they are stuck together. Do you know a carpet layer?
Barb/Bob Alexander wrote: ...

That I'm familiar with would be too thick and be a thump every rev...
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:09:11 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

2 possibilities come to mind.
Some belts are extremely directional and will last forever in the correct direction or fall apart as you speak of in the other direction. If there is an arrow on them, be sure to use it.
Second, old belts can have old, brittle adhesive and nothing I've heard of will save 'em. Most tape will hit the shoe plate and curl right off.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Edward Hennessey wrote:

If the ends overlap, you can use elmer's glue and fix by ironing with a household iron. If they but up then you will need some kind of cloth tape.
We use to make our own in school shop by cutting from a roll at a diagonal so they would overlap by approx an inch. Then using a grinding stone in a DeWalt radial arm saw we ground off the grid on one end, put on the glue and ironed them from the back. Never had one to come unglued. The stock roll was donated by a local plywood maker.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

GR:
These belts butt up with the tape overlapping that line.
We use some large, stationary Somaca belt sanders as well and it would be interesting to see if some of this belt material could be cut for use on smaller machines. The notion that it might be possible to fabricate belts from new roll stock also poses possibilities; hopefully, some of them might deal with saving money.
As to your second paragraph, my head is a little hard. Does "grinding off the grid" mean you are grinding each end of the cut roll for a half lap joint? What kind of glue was successful for you?
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Edward Hennessey wrote:

we only ground one end. As I said, we used Elmer's glue. Yellow wood glue would probably work the same.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

GR:
Oh, you're human too. My favorite strategic mistyping of all time was a marketing letter addressed "Dear Suctomer".
Thanks again,
Edward Hennessey
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:21:34 -0700, Edward Hennessey wrote:

Somewhere around here I have a copy of "Hurst Boilers Trouble Sooting Guide"
basilisk
Edward Hennessey wrote: ...

To head of department while in uni...
Dr. Prof. What's his name Department of Unclear Engineering