Bed is done!

Page 2 of 2

Very nice!

Thank you!
Nice to look at but can it take the strain of "physically active couple" with a combined weight of, say, 300lbs? :>)

Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

*Tip-O-The-Hat*
Downright fabulous!

Thank you

You've made your be. Now lie in it.
--
FF

(Couldn't resist)

Nice job. I've a couple of beds in the future to replace those kid beds (they have left the nest). I'm inspired to choose your design for one.
Frank

Thank you. Not really my design, but I'm still flattered. I have the dimensions on my website if you want them.
That is a seriously cool bed... you do realise you have made my life a misery! the first thing my wife said " why can't you make me one like that " job well done! Eddie.

Thank you, and sorry ;) I put the measurements on my website if you want to use them. They are largely based on the Stickley bed designed by Harvey Ellis.
Thanks again!
Stoutman wrote:

I don't follow the rec as much as I should, so I'm a bit later with seeing your project finished.
However, it's gorgeous as Swingman said. I'm in awe and have great admiration for you having completed a lovely piece of furniture.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop /

Better late than never :)

Thank you!
Nice! Must've taken hours and hours just deciding how you'd cut up your raw stock to get the grain flow and coherency for your bed. Then you have to keep track of parts orientation for all those carefully selected parts - the "non-show face" - for some reason - seem to be either "not so pretty" or will obviously look out of place in the finished piece. I'm betting there was a LOT of Measure Twice, Cut Once and that there were chalk marks on every part which were checked before making the next cut. That alone warrants a Well Done! The glue up must have been "challenging". Did you chamfer the ends of the tenons and the top of the mortises to make their alignment at glue up time a little easier?
Nice thing about M&T joints is that their self aligning - things that are supposed to be square almost automatically become square at the joint closes. Did you check for square anyway -just to make sure?
Looking at the picture Tall Tenons immediately brought the Festool DOMINO to mind. A&C, G&G, Stickley designs use mortise and tenon joints in copious quantities. Cutting all those mortises and all those tenons - accurately and consistently must be real fun - or a real PITA.
Now I never met either of the Greene brothers or anyone from the Hall shop (the folks who actually made the things the G&G brothers thought up), nor Mr. Stickley - but I suspect that they would have been quite comfortable with loose tenon mortise and tenon joints - if they could be done more efficiently than true M&T joints, while maintaining the strength of said joint. And I'm sure the Hall shop would have snapped up the DOMINO and put it to use in a New York Minute.
Anyway - it's a nice piece that will serve you well for a lifetime - and then some.
charlie b