Bed is done!

Page 1 of 2
For those following along in the saga, I finally finished my Stickley style walnut bed.
Let me know what you think. It is a little hard to see, but there are corbels in each post inside corner.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

style
Absolutely gorgeous! You're gonna be proud of that for years to come.
Congratulations on a job well done.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Thank you! It's going to take us a little time to get use to the elevation difference. Our box spring and mattress has been on the floor for 2-years!
Now I need a dresser to match. ;)
Hey Stoutman, That bed brought good and bad comments from my wife. The good is I don't have to make the canopy bed I was planning. Yours is beautiful and that's what she wants. The bad comments are why it took you 14 days to make this and why my projects are measured in months. Thanks for such great inspiration.
By the way, cab you elaborate on your comment quoted here?
"When routing from a template use both a top and bottom bearing pattern bit so you don't have to climb up grain when routing. All you have to do is flip the work over and change bits."
I really do not understand the grain climbing you refer to. Thanks again, Marc

I actually started working on it on 2/3, so it took me 3-weeks to complete. i don't think it matters how long it takes you, just as long as you are happy with the results and you learned stuff along the way! :) I learned a bunch on this project. One of the biggest things I learned was that I desperately NEED a dust collector. I cleaned out my woodshop a couple of times with a snow shovel. Yeah, that's right, a snow shovel. ;)

Let me know if you would like the measurements.

This tip came from the rec. The grain climbing I am referring to is when using a pattern bit in the router table on a curve. The grain will switch directions as you travel the curve. If you are not careful, you will end up with a lot of chip-out when going up-grain. This has to do with the direction the bit is spinning. I am probably not explaining this too well, maybe someone else can take a crack at it.
Thanks for looking!

Yes, I would really appreciate measurements. I have a queen size bed so I can adapt them to my needs. Thanks again, Marc ( snipped-for-privacy@qis.net)

I posted measurements for ya on my website. Let me know if you have any questions.
But man, why would you spend such time and effort on somethine that is in a room where the lights are off most of the time??
Seriously, nicely done.

Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Thank you again! I will check them out tonight after cleaning up and adding additional wiring in my shop. Marc
Now that you have made your bed you have to lie in it.
Great job.

Looks great! Congrats.
-Leuf

Thank you!
Stoutman wrote:

Now that is nice.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

Thank you Mortimer.
Very nice...Congrats
Allen

Thank you Allen.
Stoutman wrote:

I showed your partially-done pics to my wife. I don't think she could visualize what was in the offing. Wait until she sees THESE pics! Excellent job, excellent job.
Just because I'm likely to need to know this number pretty soon ... about how much (estimate, please) do you think the materials set you back?
Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make

Thank you!

All of the walnut cost me around $750 (the slats that support the box spring are poplar). I bought mostly 8/4 for the rails and 12/4 for the posts and some 4/4 walnut.

I'm pretty certain my wife would prefer (salvaged) poplar with a nice stain. ;-)