Beanie Babies and Home Depot

Gotta love this guy's style:

And in order to thank him, you can purchase a certificate of liquid appreciation; any proceeds beyond what can be spent for beer will go towards more power tools:

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

He must be related to the inventor of the pet rock. Sheesh.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

I laughed... I cried.... I drank a beer. Yeah, no kidding I cried. MY ex-wife had a bunch of those #$@ things... I could afford that nice craftsman radial arm saw I've been wanting! Too bad I didn't get custody of the crap I paid for! :'( George

Reply to
Halon1211

This link was posted a couple of days ago, but it still brings a smile to my face.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Sorry, I must have missed it. I read the wreck by scrolling through the subject list and deleting 90% of the troll-spew and old threads that have drifted off topic.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I emailed the winner of that auction just out of curiosity because I saw no feedback on the sale. Turns out many of them were indeed counterfeits. It wouldn't suprise me to learn he knew that. It also doesn't suprise me to learn he's trying to soak in some cash off the fame of that auction. I believe in "caveat emptor" and all but as far as I'm concerned he can buy his own beer.

Hyde

Reply to
Hyde

Counerfeit perhaps, but that's not to say he was untruthful in the auction statement - his ex could have been the one taken by the original seller(s). He stated a number of times he made no guarantees of any sort.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I agree, but ask yourself this, if you found a box of Beanies (and how many of us really *don't* know they are a serious collectable or know that "retireds" are worth quite a bit), you are a long term seller on Ebay ( 500+), you are informed by others that some are worth a lot of money, wouldn't it be common sense and worth your time to do a little research on at least the value of what you are going to sell. I can't speak for this guy, but I do sell on Ebay and I'd never list anything with the knowledge (before hand or during auction) that some might be fakes and take someone for their hard earned money. It got listed with the knowledge that someone out there would buy for sure. Like I said, caveat emptor, but I think he tried a little too hard to prove he knew nothing, especially for someone who lived with a collector for years and purchased some of them himself. The whole story sounds like something thought up at the nearest bar stool. I'm not saying the guy is guilty, but I smell a rat.

Perhaps, but Ebays own policies on that matter are clear....

Authenticity Disclaimers

Sellers may not disclaim knowledge of, or responsibility for, the authenticity or legality of the items offered in their listings.

Sellers should take steps to satisfy themselves that their items are authentic before listing them on eBay. If you cannot verify the authenticity of an item, do not list it.

The following examples violate eBay's Authenticity Disclaimer Policy: "I cannot guarantee the authenticity of this item, so please bid accordingly." "Vintage Handbag Chanel???" Warning: The repeated use of authenticity disclaimers could result in the ending of your listings and possible suspension from eBay.

Reply to
Hyde

You're only "taking" people if you claim that they are not fakes.

Lots of stuff is sold with a "no claims made, as is, where is, buyer assumes all risks" basis. As long as the seller isn't intentionally hiding anything, and the buy understands the risk he's taking, there's no deceit involved.

Reply to
Roy Smith

So it's ok to know or suspect they might be and claim ignorance ? I'm not saying that the case here, just a supposition. In my book that's taking people, and all I can say is that I am proud of my own honor.

Agreed, but how are you to know the buyer isn't hiding anything ? That's exactly the reason Ebay instituted the policy you omitted from your reply. Like I said, I'm not saying the guy is guilty, but for someone that experienced at selling online, ex wife owned a 1000 and selling a known collectable it still seems fishy to me.

Back to the wood .....

Hyde

Reply to
Hyde

Make that "seller", I'm too tired ...... ZZzzzzz ....

Reply to
Hyde

How did that "turn out"? Did the buyer inform him that there were fakes?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Nah. I live with a Barbie collector. I've bought some of the damned stupid things, but I know practically nothing about them, and don't care to learn more.

  • they're TOYS
  • you can NEVER let a child PLAY with them
  • people with more money than sense will possibly pay big money for the damned stupid things some day if the damned stupid things you happen to have are in some way rare or something

I can definitely see where that guy is coming from, and I don't smell a rat.

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, & flip it around. SWMBO would be hard pressed to give a standard name for many of my tools.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I'm not trying to sell any of them on eBay for 500% market value either though. :)

I'm a tool collector, but I only collect tools that I intend to *use*. Collecting stuff just to collect it is silly IMHO. I even ripped open all the NIB Star Wars stuff I bought a bit back on a whim and let my kids

*play* with it. They even *broke* some of it. The collectors in the audience are choking and turning blue in the face, but what the hell. What good are toys (or tools) if you don't play with them?

IMHO of course. It's your money, so do what you want. (I mean "you" in general, not "you" specifically Mark. I'm not ranting at anyone or criticizing anyone's choices. Just saying what's the right way to go for

*me* alone.)
Reply to
Silvan

Until they are yours and suddenly you realize you might have a few nice tools out of the deal.

No , huh ?

Hmm, you seem to get the point, they might be rare, why bother learning then ehh ?

Like I said, back to wood ......

Reply to
Hyde

Nor was he. He was looking for a decent price. There is no forcing a buyer to keep bidding at an auction: I wanted a Stanley #71, and bid it up to my personal stop, at which point someone else "won" the auction. Life's like that, but it really isn't as if someone is holding a gun to anyone's head.

Personally, we've got a couple beanie babies, and a couple of Jerry Falwell's nemises, Teletubbies. The dog enjoys hell out of them.

Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

Reply to
Charlie Self

He started the bidding at what, $10?

Ahh! "Intend." I'm ashamed at some of the tools I bought, 100% "intending" to use. Most ashamedly, several scrapers from a couple years ago, still in the plastic packaging. When you use mostly plywood & hardboard...

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Nah. There aren't any roads to my having sole ownership of the Barbie collection worth thinking on.

Just not my thing. I hate to sell anything anyway. When I want to sell something, I always price it so low that the other party just grins and hands me the cash. That way I don't have to piss around.

Reply to
Silvan