Basswood for cabinets?

Anyone used basswood to make cabinet doors? How does it compare to ewp? to popar? Is it expensive? I was in a shop last week that used it and touted the stability of it. I've no experience myself, so I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it. Thanks.
On 4/2/2013 8:05 PM, JayPique wrote:

popar? Is it expensive? I was in a shop last week that used it and touted the stability of it. I've no experience myself, so I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it.

No experience using it for doors. It is light in weight. It is easy to carve.
It is very plain when compared to poplar. No grain, no colorinig (might be an advantage). It is pretty nice to work with. I have used it for other purposes. More in model making, and some carving (not fine carvings).
--
Jeff

"JayPique" wrote in message
Anyone used basswood to make cabinet doors? How does it compare to ewp? to popar? Is it expensive? I was in a shop last week that used it and touted the stability of it. I've no experience myself, so I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it. Thanks. =====================================================================Never used it for anything but carving. Easy to work but it is so soft you can dent it with your thumb. Pine would much more durable.

It's *very* soft. Won't stand up to being knocked around at all. And the appearance of it is quite plain.
I wouldn't use it for cabinet doors. There are other stable woods that look a lot nicer, and will stand up better to everyday use.
On 4/2/2013 6:43 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

*IF* you're going to paint them either Poplar or Basswood will work. I'd use Poplar myself. If you're not painting them why not use Oak; looks good, easy to work, durable...