Basswood for cabinets?

Anyone used basswood to make cabinet doors? How does it compare to ewp? to popar? Is it expensive? I was in a shop last week that used it and touted the stability of it. I've no experience myself, so I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it. Thanks.

Reply to
JayPique

popar? Is it expensive? I was in a shop last week that used it and touted the stability of it. I've no experience myself, so I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it.

No experience using it for doors. It is light in weight. It is easy to carve.

It is very plain when compared to poplar. No grain, no colorinig (might be an advantage). It is pretty nice to work with. I have used it for other purposes. More in model making, and some carving (not fine carvings).

Reply to
woodchucker

Anyone used basswood to make cabinet doors? How does it compare to ewp? to popar? Is it expensive? I was in a shop last week that used it and touted the stability of it. I've no experience myself, so I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it. Thanks. ====================================================================== Never used it for anything but carving. Easy to work but it is so soft you can dent it with your thumb. Pine would much more durable.

Reply to
CW

JayPique wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It's *very* soft. Won't stand up to being knocked around at all. And the appearance of it is quite plain.

I wouldn't use it for cabinet doors. There are other stable woods that look a lot nicer, and will stand up better to everyday use.

Reply to
Doug Miller

appearance of it is quite

lot nicer, and will

*IF* you're going to paint them either Poplar or Basswood will work. I'd use Poplar myself. If you're not painting them why not use Oak; looks good, easy to work, durable...
Reply to
MaxD