bandsaw mini-gloat

It's not a very impressive bandsaw. Old 7.5" B&D baby benchtop. I asked a question a bit ago about whether a scroll saw or a baby 9" bandsaw would be more useful, and decided not to get the baby bandsaw.

Having said all that, it works, and the price was $0.00 so that still ought to be worth at least a mini gloat.

Seeems like a fine machine for small work, but I haven't used it to see what its limitations are yet.

Reply to
Silvan

Sounds like you're set for making totes now. At $25 a crack over at Woodcraft, I'd say it just paid for itself. Soon as you make one, you're ahead of the game. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:39:06 -0500, Silvan wrotg:

I'd say anytime you got something for free that you can use, it's worth at least a mini gloat. Being I don't have a bandsaw, "you suck".

John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John

As soon as I make *anything* with it I'm ahead of the game. :)

If I can get any precision out of it at all, it should prove useful for a lot of things I've been doing lately that are really quite awkward and dangerous on my table saw. I'm hoping. I don't really work big stock anyway, so I don't need capacity. I'm more worried about bad guides and whatnot. Looks like it's going to cut everything at an angle, but I haven't tried to do anything about that yet.

I guess I'll get to use that handy dandy template you sent too, eh? Even if Santa doesn't bring me a scroll saw. (And she probably won't, I don't think. My son is draining my scroll saw out his his sinuses and sweating it out of his fevered brow as we speak, I fear. Another trip to Dr. Moneydrain is on the calendar for tomorrow morning.)

Reply to
Silvan

Thankya, thankyavermuch. My first "you suck." Oh what a glorious day. :P

Reply to
Silvan

What kind of guides does that saw take, round or square or roller (less likely) and what size in cross section. I may have some cool block material that you can use. What comes to mind is that the bguides are mis-set and are pushing the blade out of true. The fix may be as easy as loosening them moving them to 1 CH of the blade on each side and tightening them back down. Let me know about the sizes and shapes and the swing-over on your lathe, I'll shoot another box your direction. Be careful setting tension on the blade and setting the guides behind the blade, mind the soft parts.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Maybe indeed. I've only barely looked at it. C-c-c-c-cold out there, and the little heater only got it up to 45 today. I didn't feel like messing with it, so I spent the day watching goofy Christmas movies with my family.

I'm going to need to take it apart and get the cobwebs out of it. Then I'll have a better idea what I'm looking at. Off hand, I have no idea what the guides look like, other than a vague impression that they must not be very complicated.

Um... 14" between centers, 10" swing. The sizes and shapes will have to wait a bit. :)

I've had a bandsaw for years. Just not one that could cut wood very effectively. I'll keep my soft parts out of harm's way. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Ooops, hit send too soon... Did you get my message about the windchime?

Reply to
Silvan

Sure did, sent you a reply too. Double check your e-mail. %-) Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Enjoy it. The first bandsaw I grabbed was the $99 Delta 9" from Lowes. It worked fine for a number of tasks around our house!

Reply to
mttt