Bandsaw: Craftman and Ridgid identical ?

Page 1 of 2

I look for a 14' bandsaw. I saw that Craftman professional and Ridgid seem to be the same. Is this the same thing?
S.B.
I was pretty amazed that Craftsman or Ridgid would make a 14 foot bandsaw (14' in OP), and when I checked HD's website to look at the Ridgid, apparently it's true! Check it out - "smooth running belt drive that delivers power to resaw up to 6 Ft.' thick oak." http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2125204893.1128963092@@@@&BV_EngineIDcladdflmggdmicgelceffdfgidglo.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID76&N)84+3966&pos=n24 Hey - if you can get 6 foot resaw capacity, go for it. If not, you might check out Grizzly.com - their 14" Ultimate Bandsaw appears to be a better deal for less $ than either of the ones you mentioned, and it's built in an ISO9001 factory. Good luck, Andy

Pot calling the kettle black... On my computer it says 6", not 6'.
Bummer. Oh, well - if you have 6 foot wide boards to resaw, you'd better not be shopping for those kind of tools at Home Depot. As far as the original question, the bases and motors on the Craftsman and Ridgid look completely different, at least on their respective websites. And by the way, no affiliation with any of these companies... Andy
Toller wrote:

On mine it says:
3/4 HP TEFC Induction motor for quiet, smooth running belt drive that delivers power to resaw up to 6 Ft.' thick oak.
in two (2) different places on this page:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&pos=n24&MID76&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&N)84+3966&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp
--

FF

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&pos=n24&MID76&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&N)84+3966&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp
You need a better monitor. On mine they are clearly inch symbols.
Toller wrote:

First of all, I copied and pasted the text so the ASCII symbols posted to USeNet are the same as the ASCII symbols on the webpage.
Secondly, Are we to undersstand that on your monitor the symbol for 'inch' is 'Ft'? That's a very peculiar monitor.
--

FF

Hm. My 21" Philips clearly shows the text as 6Ft' <-- note the single quote. In two seperate places.
This is for the Ridgid BS1400 bandsaw ...
Maybe we are looking at two different things? Don't know, but it's very clearly indicating "Feet" as the unit of measure for resaw capability.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
John Thomas wrote:

Actually that indicates feet twice, once with the avvreviation "Ft" and onlce with the symbol "'". SO maybe they mean square feet of whatever thickness. After you cut 6 square feet of oak, you need to buy a new saw...
--

FF

(Or maybe just get the blade sharpened."

Damn... I have that saw, with riser block.. does that mean that I can resaw 12 foot thick stock? *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Sure... if you can find a blade.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:21:55 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

my guess would be that it would be a lot easier to find the blade than it would be to AFFORD it.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Just to give is some perspective,, when I was at the sawmill last weekend, they used a 40' blade. They said the cost was about $1000.

Ah, but if you don't care too much about tooth count, you could always go here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberB376
and get 100' (feet!) of stock for ~$55. (it's 18tpi, though ...)
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

The sawmill blade was less than 1 tpi. And about 12" wide. I imagine the 18 tpi would have slowed them down a bit ;)

and they probably sharpen it often... not exactly disposable at a grand a blade..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
A few years ago, an article in Forbes magazine said that Home Depot had out-maneuvered Sears and started used the Craftsman OEM (Emerson) to manufacture tools, putting them under the Ridgid logo. The Ridgid tablesaw that I bought at that time sure looked like the earlier Craftsman items -- in fact, HD was giving a $100 trade-in to everyone who turned in a Sears tablesaw and bought a Ridgid. This forced Sears to go to a new supplier.
The Ridgid line of tools uses the name from Ridge Road plumbing supplies, with HD manipulating things behind the scenes. (HD did a similar operation for a couple of years in the '90s, when they started to market lawn tractors built by John Deere, under the "Scotts" logo.)
So the "new" Ridgid came from the manufacturer of the "old" Craftsman . . . or so I've read -- Regards --

Very true! Emerson Electric now manufactures the Rigid line for HD (although I hope to better standards and specifications) At least they did a good job with the new contractor's saw.
Sears went searching for a new supplier. The found Ryobi. I'll leave the quality discussion up to you.
SS

nospam wrote:

Now you have me confused. I read in this NG about a year or so ago that Emerson had stopped making stationary power tools for the Ridge Tool Company (which are marketed through HD) and that now they are made by Ryobi.
--

FF

.
>>>I read in this NG about a year or so ago that Emerson had stopped making stationary power tools for the Ridge Tool Company (which are marketed through HD) and that now they are made by Ryobi.<<<
I believe you are right. Sears and Ryobi split the sheets about a year ago. I'm not sure who took over for Sears. RM~