bandsaw confusion

i?m planning to buy a 14? bandsaw. I did a google search and read the comparison in FWW, Winter 2001/2002 (the workshop issue), which named the Delta

28-280 (costing more than $800) the best, with the Ridgid BS1400 the best value, at $500. But several things have changed since that review...The Delta saw seems to have become the 28-475X, and Jet has introduced an improved version of its basic model, now selling for $599 on Amazon (model #710115K, 1.25 HP), and there?s a 1 HP Delta saw (model #28-206) that seems very similar to the Jet but wasn?t included in the review, now selling for $549 on Amazon. And now the Ridgid seems to be selling for $349, making it a much better value. So my question is...Which one would you buy? The Amazon reviewers rate the Jet more highly than the Delta, but they aren?t really doing comparisons, and it?s not clear that they?re all talking about the current models. To make things more confusing, the descriptions on Amazon?s website vary from those in the Amazon/Tool Crib catalog...anyway, both seem to have 16/16 tables, 4 inch dust ports, 9-spoke wheels and quick release tension levers...Is one likely to be much better than the other? And is the Ridgid in the same league? Thanks in advance, Eric
Reply to
Eag111

I suggest looking at Grizzly's new 14 inch model with 1 1/2 horse motor. Comes with bearing guides and is really well thought out well. You get what you pay for....

Schroeder

Reply to
Schroeder

I, too, am a bit confused. However, after reading the FWW article, interviewing several owners, reading posts from this newsgroup, and doing "other" research, I decided (1) a 1.5 HP is the size I need/can afford and (2) the Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS Deluxe Bandsaw is the best of that category. Sorry to add yet another model to your choices.....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I bought the Jet 2 years ago at a Woodcraft dealers show at the suggestion of Mark Duginske, the guy who literally wrote the book on bandsaws (The Bandsaw Book). He was using a Jet doing demos. My other choice was the Delta at the time, which was about $200 more. The Jet has been great, but it's the only one I've ever used so I can't compare it with others.

Reply to
Jake

Just a note.. IMO, at the 14 inch size, horsepower is not your primary worry. It's more important to have the saw properly tuned and the proper blade for the job

My 12 year old Delta bandsaw has "only" as 3/4 HP motor and has done everything I've ever asked it to do.

I'd stay away from the Rigid. Be careful.. often the tool that wins "best value" is simply the cheapest one.

Also, most people do not realize that when magazines test tools (or other products), they come directly from the manufacturer. So, the tool the magazine guys gets has had 1000 times more quality control and testing at the factory than the one you buy off the shelf. This can make the lower priced/quality one seem better than it really is. I know this, as I was part of this scam in another manufacturing industry.. the product that the reviewers got was certainly not representative of what 99% of the consumers got off the shelf.

Reply to
bf