Bandsaw assembly

This seems so obvious that I can't imagine others haven't done it, but while researching bandsaws in the google archives, I saw many posts where people had problems putting the frame up on the stand and needing 2-3 people to help. So I thought at least a few people would benefit from this procedure. I just put together my Ridgid bandsaw and was able to do it easily on my own.

Basically, I just left the frame sitting horizontally on it's side in the box. I removed all the other parts, and cut off the side of the box and the packing which would be below the frame if it were standing up. I then assembled the stand and laid it horizontally on the floor next to the bottom of the frame, which was now peaking out of the box. I had to prop the frame up a little by putting some twoby's underneath the remains of the box, then was able to line up the holes in the stand with the bottom of the frame. Then I just tightened the bolts horizontally.

I walked around the saw, tilted it up from the top, and it went right up. I was worried about tilting it like that because I didn't know if two legs diagonally would support the frame whlie it was going up, but there really was no problem and it felt sturdy the whole time. Took almost no effort at all.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Shelley

Thanks for that post...I plan with a neighbor to get my New Jet 16" bandsaw assembled this weekend and this info helps Tina

Reply to
Tina

I considered doing just that with my Rigid, since the instructions say GET HELP..*g*

My concern was alignment, but I guess that it could be re-alighned after you stood the assembled unit up.. I decided to leave the box in the truck during assembly and put the beast together next to the tail gate... worked pretty good when it was time to put the top assembly on, since it was just a matter of sliding it over and lifting a few inches..

NOTE: if you're working alone, use a board or block to support the blade guide side, so that the side that the bolt is in is level, or have a third hand.. DAMHIK

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Actually, this info helps not at all with the Jet 16", which is a European pattern unit, not a two part unit with a cast iron top. Your Jet will come almost completely assembled, except possible for the table and the motor (the motor will probably already be mounted, but may not). It will arrive standing up, and if it doesn't, you had better talk to the shipper. All you should need to do is install the table (and, maybe, the motor). No lifting of heavy items is needed (not that the table and motor are light, but in cast iron bandsaws, the upper, cast iron, part is much heavier than the lower stand).

Reply to
Charlie Self

I just assembled my Jet 16" bandsaw.

It came lying down. It came with a big dent in the upper door. The motor is already attached. You have to attach the table You have to unbolt the plywood shipping base You have to bolt on two cast iron feet about 2 inches tall. Its easy (but not real easy) to stand the saw upright yourself and tilt it to fasten the feet.

Overall, 6 bolts and its assembled. 2 on the table, 4 on the feet.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

Well my neighbor and I (mostly him) assembed the jet 16' in about an hour, came on a pallet lying on it's side, styrofoam and box, motor was mounted, only thing we did was put the feet on, stand it up, and assemble the table and fence...works like a champ and is sooooooooooooooo quiet, gonna get a rubber matt to put under it to take out more vibration, it was level and plumb to boot! and I had free delivery to the inside of my garage! Empire machinery is where I bought my from. I couldn't be happier!

Tina

Reply to
Tina