Bamboo lumber

Page 2 of 2
Joe Bleau wrote:

Item number one, it is not wood, its a grass. It is also hollow, so to get a usable piece for cabinetry you would have to do what the flooring folks do, cut it lengthwise, hollow the pith out of it, soak it and press it flat. Seems a lot of work for something that will only be, at the most, a half inch thick.
Deb
Here is a very intersting site showing how laminated bamboo is made.
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/Christoph.Toenges/pagesEN/leimbambus.html

bamboo ain't that any cheaper than anything else. And until I see some proof that it has some benefit for a project, I'll use my tried and true.
Hell, pine's cheap, they grow it on farms so it's renewable and you expect it to be soft... and it's cheap cheap cheap.
Piss on bamboo... and the Panda bears we're killing by using all their food for our floors.
Do everyone a favor, get a breast augmentation.
-Jason
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I was NOT impressed with what I saw in those pictures. Looks to me like the stuff was deforming and cupping even in the lamination, and like some of the joints were failing even outside the stress tests.
May be ok for your cheap tropical 'rude hut', but I don't think I'll be buying roof beams made that way any time soon! I think I'll stick with pine and resorcinol for gluelam.
-P.