Bamboo flooring

Gary's post on his shuffle board table got me thinking. Would bamboo flooring be good for a workbench top?

Earl

Reply to
Earl in Jax

Banboo is tough stuff! Will work fine.

Used some leftovers from a small room that I had redone a few years back on one of my benches, and it still looks good.

Reply to
Nicky

Sounds like a good idea to me - if I had some, I'd definitely give it a try. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yep, The stuff is amazing. It is amazing that they get away selling it for flooring. However the stuff I have is soft !!! It is called vertical cut. They slice the bamboo cane lengthwise producing strips. These strips are glued / laminated together. There is another form of bamboo flooring where they cut thin planks from the cane so that the flooring shows the classic bamboo cane image. I think that this type of flooring "MIGHT" be slightly harder. Now with both types there is something called carbonized. This bamboo flooring is darker than the natural type. not sure what they do to get the bamboo darker. although the term "carbonized" leads me to believe the have "cooked" the bamboo to get the color shift. A bench top sounds great use for this "flooring" material. Good luck

Reply to
goaway

Hello Earl,

It would be good for a benchtop but it can be brittle on the edges and prone to chipping.

If I were going to use a flooring for a workbench I would use solid maple for a little bit more cost. That would allow you to trim away the slight bevel on the edges to that they would fit together perfectly.

That is what I did on the bamboo. It was a snap together fit but after I re-profiled the edges it wasn't a snap fit, but still allowed a lot of surface for glue. The bamboo it just under 1/8 thick with a soft wood underneth.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Kemper