bald left hand

Finally my plane blade made the back of my left hand hairless! I followed a modified Scary Sharp system down to 0.5 u paper on my Stanley Sweetheart blade. The method I used is described here

was really cool to see the wire edge floating around in the baby oil.

With a sharp blade and after using a bit of candle wax on the sole of the plane I cannot believe how easily my run-of-the-mill stanley #5 plane slices though hard maple _against_ the grain!

Why is the sole just behind the blade turning yellow? Is this the patina I'be been reading about? Ever since I scraped the sole of my plane flat I've pretty much only planned natural hard maple.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
petermichaux

It's on the lee side of your blade. Not in constant contact when planing.

Reply to
George