Back to real content...

Are they still coming? I had to make more rules and it seems they have stopped. Can we get back to business now?
I found in my garden shed an entire wall stud completely eaten away by termites. The stud is not your ordinary stud this one is actually three 2X4's, 2 are attached together and facing me on its 4" end and one is on its 2" end facing me. the stud is not in the corner (where this would make sense to me but nearing the middle. can I just shore them up or should they be completely removed and replaced. It is only a garden shed 10X12 and the termite problem has been corrected. THere is no "real" structural damage, more along the line of asthetics.
Searcher PS I figured I would start here since it IS wood.

Then it's a personal choice. I'd replace/rebuild.
I don't have a choice. Black ants [the kind that love wood] have invaded my 85 yr old country home. The "experts" said they were coming in from outside and charged me anyhow. Problem is they were here also before the snow disappeared. So, they are on the inside. They could be anywhere. How do you deal with them? They could have the small stack of oak and cherry if they'll leave the house structure alone ...but they won't.
Guess Who wrote: snip>I don't have a choice. Black ants [the kind that love wood] have invaded my 85 yr old country home. <snip
These are carpenter ants, no? I've heard that if you cut off their water supply (leaky roof or siding, maybe even foundation), they go away. Tom

Yes, and the boys are busy right now getting ready to install eavestrough. Then it's the basement guy. I'd have possibly bought a new house, but it would have cost far more and still would have problems.
I was wondering if anyone had any faith/success with pest control people. So far, I think it's a con game.
Shopdog wrote:

By all means, remove and replace. Think about using pressure treated or possibly redwood or cedar or something repellant to the bugs. Consider children or pets that might be exposed/allergic to some of this stuff.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Replace wood . . . as soon as the chemicals you have applied lose their effectiveness they will return . . . Termites are very organized like ants . . .
Steve

its
sense