At the BORG - What Would You Do?

Page 2 of 3
Perry Aynum wrote:

Have done - and even made trips back to stores when I didn't catch a discrepancy until days later (my ex absolutely despised my doing that, which may speak volumes...)
I still argue with other small business owners when I feel like a price is /too/ low, because I really want 'em to still be there to do business with the next time. (This also allows me to ask for, and frequently get, a better deal when I think their asking price is too high.)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

something like $3.00 or so each. I decided that I didn't need brackets as long as I had bought so I took them back to exchange for shorter ones. I didn't have the original receipt so they offered me the best price they had in the computer going back 6 months or so. They offered $1.50 each. The manager told me to take it or leave it, he really didn't have to refund me anything. No customer care there. It was 6 months before I went back BIG M. I did my shopping at Big Blue and Big Orange. Spent quite a lot. I only shopped BIG M for certain boards I could not get elsewhere. Then I discovered BIG Wood... I hate that store....HI HI...
Dave

Some great answers here. I have to also point out some conspicuous (to me, anyway) non-answerers, which may lead me to a wrong conclusion, but I don't think so.
Anyway, my immediate first answer is yes, of course, and I have a long history of doing that very thing. My wife was pleasantly surprised to learn that about me, as she, a strong Catholic, had some reservations about her choice of a mate who was decidedly agnostic (and who has since given up even that dodge).
Someone mentioned what amounts to a sliding scale, and I'll confess to an occasional conscience of convenience, where it would cost me more in gas to go back and make it right, for example. And, I confess to having invoked the "Asshole Rule" once or twice (have to be careful with that one as it cuts both ways...). Of course, as discussed, if they absolutely INSIST they're smarter than me, for once I will quit arguing and take their offer.
But by and large, especially if I'm still on the premises, I go back.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Do unto others as you would.......etc. What goes around comes around.
Max

The older I get, the more I believe this
I'm a weekend warrior, so when it comes to rec.woodworking, I'm just a lurker. I can't add much to woodworking... unless you need more sawdust. But I've learned a lot from you folks - Thanks
Ahh your dilemna sounds all too familiar... Years ago, I'd have high-tailed back to the store, to be honest and pay the correct amount.
A few years ago I was given too much change at a burger place. The gal refused to listen "Sir I know how to count". I told her "Yes, but I gave you a ten dollar bill, you gave me change for a 20". She started with the bad attitude routine. I noticed she kept looking over her shoulder. I tried again, her reply was "Look, you trying to get me fired? I have other customers waiting behind you OK"? She was more worried about looking bad, then her till being off, I dropped it.
At the local borg a few years ago, I had special ordered new construction windows for my house, I was remodeling. When they came in, one had damage on the integral "moulding". I knew I could "fix" the damage, I'd waited long enough for them to come in and I wanted to get the window installed, cold weather was getting close. I suggested to the manager "Give me 25% off, I'll sign a waiver on the damage and we'll be done". I have no idea why, but that seemed to be a real hurdle for them. They wanted to negotiate the percentage off. I just bought $2,500 worth of windows, damn-it, $100.00 didn't seem worth the effort. I settled for $85 just to get the heck out of there. I hadn't been back there since.
Last week I needed to get replacement extension springs for a garage door repair job I was in the middle of. The borg I normally go to was out of stock, so I had to try the other one. I swore I'd never do business with them again, but they had them, I was stuck. I went through the check-out, paid with my credit card and went on my way. Admittedly, I didnt even pay attention to the "cost". When I got home and filed the receipt, I noticed they charged me for one spring, not both... I got my $15 plus a couple extra back (interest). I don't feel bad, even if I should.
Be Safe
Perry Aynum wrote:

Absolutely, but it rarely happens to me because I'm usually watching the checkout process like a hawk to make sure they don't miss anything, and more importantly to make sure something doesn't ring up incorrectly (either too high or too low). Better to catch it when it happens than to have to make a trip back in.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Jerry - OHIO wrote:

I always lift my bag above my head as I pass through the detectors... not that anyone has ever shown any interest in my antics.
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:25:12 -0600, HeyBub cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Seems like an odd behavior.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

If you're wondering what to do, trade roles. If the store charged you twice for the other stuff, would you pay the extra without complaint, even if you didn't notice until you got out the door?
Or... if you're selling something and you don't notice the items they have, would you want them to come back and correct the mistake?
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

register but don't always do so and find mistakes at a later time. When I go back to correct the mistake I am often told that if I didn't catch it at the register at the time of purchase it was to late to do anything about it. Since the majority of these problems are in my favor not the stores I have always found it an odd policy. I find most of the cashiers who follow this policy are young highschool aged types and don't seem interested in my business anyway. I have never had a problem at a store that deals with the building trades correcting a problem even after a few days delay no matter whose favor it is in. Chain resturants seem to have the biggest problem with correcting this type of problem in my area.

Although maybe not the proper answer I could see why someone may say screw 'em and keep the stuff.
Last fall on a Saturday night at about 7PM I went to the BORG to purchase a PC compressor nail gun package. I go through self check out because they have one cashier working and the line is about 15 people long. As I am doing my transaction my daughters are in the beginning of a fight over whatever electronic game they had with them that day. I swipe my credit card and hit a bunch of ok's and sign the pad. As I am waiting for the slip the battle of daughters begins to erupt to I say to myself I signed the screen it must have gone through I will not worry about the slip I have my card statement if something goes wrong.
A few days later I am doing my PC banking stuff and the charge is not there. I begin to wonder did I get a free $300 set. I think about it for more time than a person raised by church going parents should and I went back to the store. I ask for the manager and I tell him the story. He checks the system and says the transaction messed up and it didn't go through. He then proceeds to get a cashier to run the transaction and walks away. No "thank you for being honest", "how about a free orange apron", etc. He just walked away.
I sign the slip and I say to myself "the next time I buy a nail gun compressor setup and the transaction messes up I will donate the 300 bucks to charity before I come back here." BTW the guys picture is no longer in the person in charge spot on the wall of the that BORG.
Larry C
Larry C wrote:

Please don't take this as a insult to you, Larry. It's more a commentary on the direction our society in general seems to be heading.
This is a symptom of a growing problem that seems to get worse with every generation. Most guys in here seem to be the 40 and over crowd. The latter half of the generation X seems to be the last generation that doesn't feel slighted if we're not praised for simply doing the right thing.
Anyone younger was brought up having their egos coddled like a bottle of nitroglycerin. No one could be told they were "wrong." Everyone got a trophy just for participating. Now adults in the workplace, they have to be praised and rewarded just for showing up to work. An average job is now considered excellent. The internal satisfaction of finishing an assignment isn't enough to satisfied the ego of one who's self-esteem is a house of straw, built by years of superficial, unearned praise. They must now receive awards for simply finishing an assignment, regardless of the quality of work. The bare minimum is seen as the goal, instead of the starting point.
So now, we feel insulted if no one makes a big deal out of the fact that we were simply honest. What used to be the baseline from which we'd assess one another's character, has now become something we expect to be exalted as extraordinary.
--

-MIKE-

You have the generational thing wrong with me, I am 45. I totally agree with you about people can't handle being told they are wrong. I deal with it in my professional life all the time.
I didn't go back with the idea that I would get something in return. I went back because it was the right thing to do. It was just a little disheartening that the manager didn't even acknowledge the fact that I did come back. My comment was more of a point how someone could become fed up or jaded, not that I was hoping for something in return for doing something honest and correct.
Larry C

The older generation and the one that I brought up was taught to say please and thank you along with being expected to do the right thing. That manager should have had the common decency to have said thank you, You don't necessarily expect some sort of reward for doing what is right, but you do expect someone to acknowledge that you did, I was also taught to say yes sir or ma'am and that is how I taught mine. I feel some things are the right thing to do, Now days, seems people have forgotten what to teach their kids CC

I figured you were over 40, and I wasn't trying to single you out. Your comment just sent me on that tangent. You're just out of GenX and I'm just in it, if you use '65 as the cutoff.
I see these attribute a lot in my peers, and you and your peers get to enjoy dealing with it in your subordinates. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:19:19 +0000, Larry C wrote

Gotcha completely. I grew up where politeness was the norm. and the courtesy of a "please" and "thank you" was an indication that people acknowledged each other's dignity and appreciated effort made towards them. It costs nothing yet it purchases a great deal.
Some may say my ego is out of kilter but I get irked if I hold a door open for someone and it is simply taken for granted. I don't want payment, or even a formal thank you. Eye contact and the hint of a smile is all it takes to make me think the gesture was worthwhile. It may not be Zen but it IS the cement of the common bond of humanity.
Returning what is in effect a great wadj of cash merits slightly more, I would have thought - at least a few minutes personal attention and the effort being made to show that your gesture - and the time, trouble and personal expense incurred in making it - is appreciated by a fellow participant in the Game.
Isn't that a reasonable expectation in what passes for civilized society?
"-MIKE-" wrote

Very well said ... and from a drummer at that! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08