Artistry in Wood - Sonoma County Woodworkers

There was a recent post by MJ Wallace, recommending the show at the Sonoma County Museum, in Santa Rosa, CA. Put on by the Sonoma County Woodworkers Association, this is the 16th year the show has been held.

My generous wife allows me to see a few of these shows during the year, as long as we stop at any quilt shows or stores in the area. And she likes the shows, learns quite a bit, and asks questions of me ("Why don't you build us something out of that nice bubinga, dear?") So these outings are generally good days....

My quick review: I've been spoiled. That's all I can say. When I come away from a show, with really great pieces, from really great woodworkers, and want to see more, then I'm spoiled. Rotten.

Michael Cullen, who regularly writes articles for Woodwork magazine. David Hirsch, who is/was an apprentice in Cullen's shop, and showed the workbench he built for the article in Aug 2004 Woodwork. Greg Zall, a College of the Redwoods graduate, who is a world-class marquetry artist. Bruce Johnson, whose wood sculpture reveals much greater depth of insight than the DIY woodworking show ever did. David Marks. John Keller. And many, many others. Some make their living as woodworkers. Others are talented woodworkers, supporting themselves by other means.

And spoiled me, I left, wanting to see more.

If you're in the SF Bay Area this month, go spend $5 and 2 hours. Recharge your artistic batteries.

found that 4/4 quilted bubinga is only $9/bd ft, wholesale. Time to design something really special....

Reply to
patriarch

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 05:58:44 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

It's addictive, isn't it?

Always. I didn't recall seeing "Woodwork" mag anywhere before so IDAGS on it and found this interesting page on home-built kilns.

it's the 'spensive (2.5 crowbars) Brit import.)

I should hope so, but he's not as annoying as Blob Villa. Got a URL for his sculpture?

(Family lives in Vallejo)

You suck. URL for pics, please?

longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques