Are there any decent Table Saws for $250-$350???

Page 1 of 2
Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year do they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that we are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one that has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I am asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think are real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying any brand as long as I get my $350 worth.
Thanks for any opinions.
Another $100 gets you the best "small" table saw, Bosch 4000, complete with stand, back and left side extension. Look at Toolcrib on the net, it's a deal!. GCS
I have a Bosch 4000 and I agree completely with this post.

A used Jet or Delta contractor saw.
Barry
I agree, used is the way to go. I found a 1970s Craftsman contractor's saw, and bought it for $100. I've used it a few times per week for 5 years now. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford any saw I want, but I haven't felt the need to replace this one.
A Jet or Delta would be nicer of course, but not 2 or 3 times nicer, given the used price difference. If it's in your budget though, I'm sure you'd be better off with one of those nicer brands.
-Mike
Ba r r y wrote:

And here I was thinking $100 was too much for the Jet I bought..

nothing bought at the borgs

I agree that you should look to see what used saw you can get your hands on seeing how it will be used somewhat infrequently. I am still partial to the good old fashioned belt drive table verse the direct drive. easy to maintain and repair if needed

It's not quite in your price range but:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/480816d72f4daa2c/ecf70f0daefde00b?q=table+saw&_done=%2Fgroup%2Frec.woodworking%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dtable+saw%26start%3D0%26scoring%3Dd%26&_doneTitle ck+to+Search&&d#ecf70f0daefde00b
read the last post regarding the Jet CS. I have one of these and not only is it a pretty good saw, that's a very good deal. cc

buy an old cast iron american made saw.

You may be able to find a used one in good shape. Good brands include Jet, Powermatic, General, possibly Grizzly. Avoid table tops that are plastic or pressed metal--cast is much better Look for a flat table, a good solid fence, and with the blade parallel to the fence. Try ripping a board and moving all the gears before you buy. Doubt you can find anything new with reasonable quality at that price, but you might settle for a quality circular saw instead.
I have two C'men, one to rip and one to crosscut, probably from the 70s. One was $150 and one $75. Sorry fences, but usable...never used on the crosscut anyway. One has steel wings and one cast. Both are straight, with no runout. I've put link belts on them, but never touched anything else.
You'll get far more for your $ used, unless you have a pride problem.
BTW, you might want to think about RAS. They are $75-200 and can do many things fairly well and some very well. I've owned one for over 30 yr and now have two!
Wilson

do
we
that
am
are
any

I have read some good advice in this NG not to buy direct drive, belt drive is best: http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp free shipping over 50lbs. There might be a store in your town though, the store locations are listed on the site.
Alex
I'll sell you a Delta contractors saw in great shape for $350 if you pick it up in Atlanta. About a 1984 model with cast iron top, steel extensions.

If you can't get to Jim's place, look for a similar saw for a similar price. Nothing new will be as good.

Have the same in Arkansas if your in the area. Mike in Arkansas
Me thinks Colorado might be a bit too far.... Thanks anyway guys.

Well, looky here - a used rockwell table saw for sale in Broomfield colorado (whereever that is).
You have 22 hours left to bid on it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 789&itemC44518025&rd=1
I'm not affiliated - just took a quick look on ebay for you.
Bob
Appreciate all of the help. I guess for this price a good used saw is probably the way to go. Will have to start searching the papers. Thanks Again to All!

do
we
that
am
are
any
buck wrote:

I have no idea how we could work shipping, but I bet we could ship it for $100. I have a friend selling an old Crafstman contractor's saw. Not sure what vintage, but it's old enough that the micro-adjust feature on the fence is a rack and pinion system with metal parts, and I don't reckon Sears has made (had made for them) anything like that since the '80s. He's asking $200. It needs some cleaning up, but it's a good runner. He's been using it for jobsite stuff, and not exactly babying it. It's rusty all over, but would clean up good I think.
I third or fourth or fifth everybody's recommendations here. I started off on a Skil 3400 that I picked up new for $50. It was better than nothing, but the only really good selling point was that I got it new for $50. It was a real piece of crap all around. Crappy fence, crappy miter gauge, non-standard miter slots, CRAPPY aluminum table (warped even), screaming universal motor with enough vibration to shake things off shelves two doors down. I must be a pretty damn good woodworker to have ever produced some of the stuff I did with that pile of crap. :)
I replaced it last year, and I did a lot of dollar-conscious shopping for low end stuff trying to get the minimum saw I would consider "decent" for the least money. I wound up with a ~$600 Crapsman contractor's saw that I got for something around $400 IIRC on closeout. It was the cheapest, lightest, smallest saw I felt would do the job for me.
I probably would have bought and cleaned up this friend's old saw if I had known the guy was getting rid of it last February. C'est la vie. Anyway, what I'm getting at is I don't think there's anything out there new right now for less than $500 that's worth looking at unless you just like smashing your head into a brick wall.