Anyone have any experience with this Craftsman air compressor?

What a crock , As far as I know sears do not make their compressors ,devillbiss does ,probably the largest compressed air tool proveyer in the country. In addition to my knowledge the compresor division of devillbiss has been bought out by porter cable ....Again the hp ratings for all compressors have been redefined, not only sears......I am no great fan of sears having had several run ins with them but for heavens sake give them a fair shake else criticise them all ....

Reply to
mike hide

I would not single out Sears, yes. All manufacturers and retailers who sell compressors with phony "peak horsepower" ratings, are scum. Peak horsepower means nothing when it comes to compressors, because compressors have large tanks of air. A few seconds at "peak horsepower" before, like Leon said, the breakers blow or the motor pops the overload, mean nothing whatsoever. For compressors, only continuous output matters.

Ignoramus23461

oilless sucks. it is so loud it can drive you nuts. I just replaced my craftsman becauseo f this. it worked fine but it was slow to fill and horrible in the noise department. the worst tool I owned for noise. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

I have this one or mine is very close to it. got it for free and I feel I overpaid for it. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

you are right in general, but there are quiet oilless compressors. 10 months ago, I sold a oil-less dental compressor (3 HP) that was relatively quiet. It cost the buyer $1,250. :)

Ignoramus23461

I would give you mine it is close to the model tough a bit older for free. it is so load even with ear muffs on it drives me nuts. free was a bad price for this one. you can have mine for shipping. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

If you look hard enough, for $220 you can buy a serious industrial compressor that will last your lifetime, not just fraudulent consumer crap.

I just helped one guy a little bit to liquidate his factory, he sold a

7.5 HP 3 phase compressor for $200, to someone else. That compressor could be repowered with a 5 HP single phase Baldor motor for not terribly too much. I was a day late. It would be sufficient for any home shop. As for repower, I bought a 5 HP baldor for $12, but it needs new bearings. Just an example. I digress.

From him, I got a 2 HP Speedaire compressor with an 80 gallon tank, for $50. It was 3 phase. I repowered it with a nice used, 2 HP single phase motor for $10 extra. This one I did not keep and listed on ebay this morning, since I already have a compressor.

My point is, there is Stuff around if you are willing to scrounge, mess a little bit with repowerings and such. No rocket science, just a bit of common sense and electrical wiring and motor control. All questions that you might have, will be answered on newsgroups by very intelligent people.

As you are scrounging, you will come across Stuff that you are offered at ridiculously low prices, but do not need. Buy it and sell it on ebay. The money earned will pay for the tools you buy, and you will be left with some extra.

For the "120V, 6 HP compressor", I would offer the seller $10-20.

>>> 150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil

Reply to
Ignoramus23461

Ignoramus23461 wrote: ...

The "peak" hp means nothing for anything, compressor or not.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I dunno, perhaps it matters for a saw or some such, but you may be completely right. I hate phony HP ratings, they piss me off to no end. I thought that the practice of assigning phony HP ratings to compressors ended aftar a big class action lawsuit against DeVilbiss and others, but, apparently, that is not the case.

Fortunately, electric motors have honest nameplates on them that list their amps. Multiply amps by volts and you get watts. Divide by 751 and you get true HP.

Ignoramus3644

Close but no cigar.

AC electric motors are inductive not pure resistive devices so you must also include power factor in the calculations which is not a simple matter without test equipment.

BTW, there are 746 watts per horsepower.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On top of which my major point is that on any woodworking machine the inertia, etc., are such that an instantaneous "peak" power isn't doing anything, anyway.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Thanks for the offer, Steve! If I didn't suspect it would cost more to ship up here (to Canada) than to buy this one used, I'd probably take you up on that. Who do you normally use to ship to Canada, anyway?

Reply to
Clint

Call DHL and UPS and Fedex.

Ignoramus3644

I've had a Sears belt-drive, oiled, 20 gallon compressor since 1988. Aside from woodworking, I painted 3 car (restorations) projects with it.

Sears stuff is cheap. I don't know how it would hold up under all day usage. Mine probably has 30 hours on it total time.

If you are running power tools or spraying finishes you want a water separator. An inline oil mister is good if using power tools. And above all, get a 220 unit if your house is wired for it. The units run much, much cooler.

Calculate capacity (ie., hp needs) by matching the highest air gulper in your tool box. Usually, that is an air sander. Paint guns use relatively little. Impact guns are medium users. The new HVLP guns don't even warrant a 220v compressor, so save money.

The nice thing about any compressor, whether it be cheap or fancy, you can unbolt any component that fails and put on a new one. Such as the pump unit, controller, motor.

The Grainger catalogue allows you to virtually build your own from components. I have a small, diaphram compressor (110) my wife uses with her airbrush art projects. But the big one pumps up my bike tires, and powers my air ratchet on all car repairs, as well as furniture repair.

Sears compressors, overall, are pretty low quality. Have you considered getting a used unit?

Gary Curtis Los Angeles

Reply to
extiger

Never use UPS to ship from the US to Canada. They'll kill you on customs charges.

Never, ever.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

it would cost too much and it can't be shipped through the post office. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

I am "the maintenance guy" where I work. We have two of these. Unless you absolutely MUST nake an immediate purchase, skip this one. Too much noise, too hard on breakers. (20 amp dedicated circuit). The inside doesn't seem to be finished in any way (rust in the drain water begining with the very first draining after less than a week.)

Bill

Reply to
Obfuscated