Anyone have any experience with this Craftsman air compressor?

Page 2 of 2

I have this one or mine is very close to it. got it for free and I feel I overpaid for it. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes

I've had the vertical unit for two years now and, except for the loud noise when it runs - it has worked fine for me. I've mainly used it for spraying paint - both regular and HVLP guns. No problems with either. Tried some airtools with it and they worked fine but I'm not a big fan of airtools so I don't really use them. Seem to recall it was on sale for around $299 new at he time and came with a mess of airtools.
Vic
Clint wrote:

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
I got the Porter Cable upright from Lowe's a couple/three years ago.
60 gallon 7HP 220 volt
Lowe's has now stopped selling them and went with another brand.
I got mine for $350 tax and all with their meet it and beat it price guarantee. 8~)
I have also put the Amzoil Compressor oil in it and it runs like a top.
I had a Wal-mart special 5hp/20gal that only lasted a couple years and blew the startup windings in the motor.
Clint wrote:

When it comes to air compressors, that thing is a toy IMHO.
Buying an air compressor is like buying a good table saw.
You bite the bullet, spend the money, cry once, get it out of your system, then enjoy the advantages of a good compressed air system.
IMHO, the best value for the money is a 5HP/240V/1Ph/60HZ motor driving a 2 stage compressor mounted on top of a vertical 80 gal tank.
You will have enough air to spray on a continuous basis, do body work with a jitterbug, etc.
I can go into a lot more detail, if necessary.
I've had one for about 10 years not, it has never let me down.
Lew
Thanks for the input, everyone! Not sure if I'm closer to making a decision, but more information (which I requested) is always good.
Just to provide more information back, the compressor I'm looking at is "lightly used", and the asking price is currently $220CAD. The only thing locally that's somewhat comparable in price is either some "no-name" oiled compressors (usually 3 or 4cfm@90psi, 3 to 6 gallon tanks) or a refurbed oil-less Campbell Hausfeld ("5HP", 5cfm@90psi, 15 gallon tank). There's probably more out there, but I figure that's about average. Most of the other ones I've seen are also 120 to 135 psi; is higher pressure any real advantage? Seems like you'd get, all things being equal, more capacity out of your tank if it was higher pressure.
Basically, I'm looking for my birthday present, and this came up. My other choice was a sander (probably disk/belt), or "something else" (don't know unless I see it).
Clint

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
15 gallon tank). There's

IMHO that is too much money to spend on that type compressor. I would get something else and wait until you can get a belt driven oil type compressor. It will be much quieter and last a lot longer.

I would give you mine it is close to the model tough a bit older for free. it is so load even with ear muffs on it drives me nuts. free was a bad price for this one. you can have mine for shipping. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
Thanks for the offer, Steve! If I didn't suspect it would cost more to ship up here (to Canada) than to buy this one used, I'd probably take you up on that. Who do you normally use to ship to Canada, anyway?
Clint

Call DHL and UPS and Fedex.

Never use UPS to ship from the US to Canada. They'll kill you on customs charges.
Never, ever.

it would cost too much and it can't be shipped through the post office. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
If you look hard enough, for $220 you can buy a serious industrial compressor that will last your lifetime, not just fraudulent consumer crap.
I just helped one guy a little bit to liquidate his factory, he sold a 7.5 HP 3 phase compressor for $200, to someone else. That compressor could be repowered with a 5 HP single phase Baldor motor for not terribly too much. I was a day late. It would be sufficient for any home shop. As for repower, I bought a 5 HP baldor for $12, but it needs new bearings. Just an example. I digress.
From him, I got a 2 HP Speedaire compressor with an 80 gallon tank, for $50. It was 3 phase. I repowered it with a nice used, 2 HP single phase motor for $10 extra. This one I did not keep and listed on ebay this morning, since I already have a compressor.
My point is, there is Stuff around if you are willing to scrounge, mess a little bit with repowerings and such. No rocket science, just a bit of common sense and electrical wiring and motor control. All questions that you might have, will be answered on newsgroups by very intelligent people.
As you are scrounging, you will come across Stuff that you are offered at ridiculously low prices, but do not need. Buy it and sell it on ebay. The money earned will pay for the tools you buy, and you will be left with some extra.
For the "120V, 6 HP compressor", I would offer the seller $10-20.

I have one of Sears' upright models that uses basically the same setup at the one you're talking about. I have had it for at least 5 years with no trouble. I have used air tools, sprayers and impact wrenches with no apparent strain at keeping up. But I have to agree with those recommending the spending of greater money and buying the larger stationary upright unit. They will no doubt last far longer and run much quieter than those direct drive units. It just all boils down to whether you can swing it.
My own unit is frightfully noisy and usually startles me quite well when it kicks off. It sits right next to our backup fridge in our/my garage/shop. Only once did it kick off while my wife had her head stuck in that icebox. If I had been able to video that, I could have surely made some money from America's Funniest Home Videos. She, however, was much less amused.
Wade snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
I bought that model about 6 months ago for about $330. I think for the money it is probably a decent compressor. It is very loud, but mine is a real deep, loud HMMMM. My biggest complaint is that about 1 time in 4, it kicks the breaker when it cycles on. I've tried it on a couple of different circuits, all 20 amp. Sears' rating of 6 HP is "peak" but they claim 2 HP "continuos".
oilless sucks. it is so loud it can drive you nuts. I just replaced my craftsman becauseo f this. it worked fine but it was slow to fill and horrible in the noise department. the worst tool I owned for noise. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes

you are right in general, but there are quiet oilless compressors. 10 months ago, I sold a oil-less dental compressor (3 HP) that was relatively quiet. It cost the buyer $1,250. :)
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:10:24 +0000, Clint wrote:

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
I am "the maintenance guy" where I work. We have two of these. Unless you absolutely MUST nake an immediate purchase, skip this one. Too much noise, too hard on breakers. (20 amp dedicated circuit). The inside doesn't seem to be finished in any way (rust in the drain water begining with the very first draining after less than a week.)
Bill