Anyone familiar with this router?

I am looking to buy a cheap beginner router from Ebay and I keep seeing this same model posted by many different people, but no one will tell me what brand it is:

The above link is to an ebay auction that I have no relation to whatsoever.

Is anyone here familiar with this brand? Good/Bad?

Reply to
David

I have this same router in a router table I built several years ago. No problems out of it yet. You can probably find one cheaper at

Disclaimer: The above link is to an ebay auction that I have no relation to

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

It appears to be my model, a Makita 3612BR plunge router. The one I have is

10 years old and has always performed flawlessly for me, both as a handheld and in a router table. It looks like all the original accessories are there except for the plastic case. Those router bits are included in the sale too. If working properly, in my opinion, it's absolutely worth the $41.99 for the buy it now option. Of course, you would have to factor in the costs for shipping, but for me, it would be worth at least $100 (Canadian funds) if I didn't have one already.
Reply to
Upscale

Unfortunately, this is a cheap Taiwanese imitation of a good quality router (by the color they're trying to imitate the Makita brand).

Don't forget, you always end up getting with what you pay for. A similar router from a good manufacturer cost between 150$ and 250$. Do you seriously think that this router is playing in the same league?

Wally

Reply to
Wally

Last year I went crazy when homier came to town. I bought some clamps and a sawzall that broke the first time I used them. I bought forstner bits that are not sharp enough to work at all. I got a good buy on a tape measure. It still works after 6 months. but I am not counting on much more from it. Just take the money and burn it; much easier than messing with the router.

Reply to
toller
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

It is imitation of the Makita 3612, mind you it might be worth the minimum bid anyhow just for the accessories. I had a customer return from the US last year with what looked to be the exact same thing, he paid $60US in Florida for it, the top bearing had overheated & melted into the housing.....after a thorough search, parts were not obtained & he plans to take it back with him this winter, by that time he will have had it almost a year & used it for 20 mins. The router looked just like a Makita, the name plate looked like Skil, from the outside the router appeared to be excellent, on the inside all the components looked great too....on the other hand looks don't count. Stick with a reputable name brand & you can't go far wrong.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

You can get a PC690 fixed base for

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

I agree. I think it is better to buy a tool that will last and will be a pleasure to use instead of a tool that is more likely to become a source of frustration.

Jim web site:

Jim

It'll be a complete crap shoot - with the odds against you. There's a chance you'll get something that meets your needs. But only a small chance. Only you can solve for the risk/reward ratio required.

Reply to
patrick conroy

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:36:09 GMT, "David" calmly ranted:

It's no doubt a Chinese import which should be good to help you break into router use. I'm still using an old B&D 1/4" arbored beast and it works well for me with my limited usage.

I bought a set of those same bits at BigLots for $12.99 and they're decent C2 carbide. I doubt the bearings will last too long, but what the heck?

Get one and when (or if) you decide to upgrade, you'll have a unit to fall back on or set up for secondary processes. When it dies, you won't be out much money, but some of these cheapo Chiwanese tools last forever.

$60 is a better deal than Harbor Fright's $80 model, and that one comes -without- bits.

See

for a look inside one of these Chinese factories where the Sieg mini-mills are made.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

it's a generic chinese router. the reviews are mostly bad. if you're going to get this kind of equipment, get it from harbor freight. it'll be cheaper and you do have some sort of recourse....

Reply to
bridger

I thought it was an original Makita. That's why I thought it to be worth more. How can you tell that it's just a knock-off, the lack of a name on it? I just thought it was a poor quality picture and the name didn't appear well.

Reply to
Upscale

Confession - I cannot tell. You thought it was an original Makita, I thought it was a knock-off. Guess only way to find out is to ask the seller.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I did ask the seller and he said it was a generic brand. So it definitely sounds like its one of those imports. My thoughts were that I could cheaply get one of these since the included bit set is nearly worth $40 on its own. Then if it broke down shortly into using it, I could feel better about spending more. Alternatively, if I use it once and then my interest in routing wanes, I am not stuck with a $200+ uber-router.

When most people say this is "bad", is it that it wont handle hardwoods very well because the motors aren't as powerful as they claim (ie: not really

2HP)? Or is it that it performs unreliably (ie: It worked great for 3 hours and then the housing melted on me!)

At only $40.00 with the bits, it seems worth the gamble for the small projects I might use it for.

To put it another way. Would you say this is a better router to start with than the Ryobi 1.5HP router that comes in a kit with router table and *no* bits at Home Depot for $99.00?

Reply to
David

Wanta bet you throw the bits out immediately because they either have no cutting edge or simply disintegrate on first use?

The Ryobi is an underpowered POS that you will find almost useless except on the easiest cuts; but it will last you a while. I have some Ryobi tools, and while they aren't much, they represent a decent value. They have to, because you would just take them back for a refund if they didn't perform.

The router is likely to break the first time you use it. Your seller is going to tell you to send it back to China for warranty service. Which do you think is a better router to start with? (personally, my first router came from a garage sale. Can't believe what I actually made with a

6a router. I used it for a while and then sold it for a profit on Ebay. Only problem is that I now have a bunch of 1/4" bits; I should have started with a decent router and 1/2" bits)
Reply to
toller

Harbor Freight is a step down from Ryobi, but it also usually represents a decent buy. My Homier clamps broke the first time I used them. My HF clamps have been used many times; they are very clumsy, but at least they work. My guess is that you won't like the HF router, but it will work for you.

Reply to
toller

Wed, Jul 21, 2004, 12:41pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (toller) laments: and a sawzall that broke the first time

Mine quit after I completely took apart an old washing machine with it. Opened it up, and found two screws had came loose - that was all that was wrong with it.

You've gotta look at what you're buying from them, some is crap, some is worth buying.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

Wed, Jul 21, 2004, 9:22am snipped-for-privacy@georgian.net (P=A9W=C9=AET=A9=A9LMAN=A0=B2=BA=BA4)says: Stick with a reputable name brand & you can't go far wrong.

Or, at least get one from a store, where you can take it back for a refund, if it doesn't work.

I got a $50 Ryobi/Craftsman about 5 years ago, that still does just what I need it for - it's in my router table.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

I think the other posters have given you the scoop on this router, but just remember, cheap is cheap. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Now, if you are not offended by the larger size, (3hp?) and intend to use this as a dedicated unit in a router table, you might want to consider the Hitachi M12V, a variable speed 15 amp motor unit. My buddy has one and swears by it. Amazon/Tool Crib online has them for about $160 or so, which in the 3hp range is really reasonable.

Disclaimer: The above link is to an ebay auction that I have no relation to

Reply to
Mutt

One thing to consider is what you are going to use it for. If you are just going to edge a few boards, and a bit of hobby work, then going with a cheaper router might not be a bad idea. If it breaks (in some brands, when it breaks) then replace it with a unit that also does whatever else you discovered you need.

Consider what attachments come with it, or are available, and how template guides fit in it. I bought a nice (low cost) router which served me well on one project, as my first router wouldn't handle the job, only to discover that when I needed to use a particular template bushing on the next project, it wouldn't work. I had to get another. That makes 3. In some projects, they are all active.

I used to use the rule of getting the first tool of a kind cheap, and replace it with a top of the line unit. That lets me figure out what features I want or need before spending real money. In some cases, the cheap tools have been sufficient, in other cases they were woefully inadequate after a while. Considering that there may be a four to six fold difference in price between bottom and top of the line, it has made sense.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family