Anyone familiar with this router?

Page 1 of 2
I am looking to buy a cheap beginner router from Ebay and I keep seeing this same model posted by many different people, but no one will tell me what brand it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemC14259283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT Disclaimer: The above link is to an ebay auction that I have no relation to whatsoever.
Is anyone here familiar with this brand? Good/Bad?
--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell

this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemC14259283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

www.homier.com
Last year I went crazy when homier came to town. I bought some clamps and a sawzall that broke the first time I used them. I bought forstner bits that are not sharp enough to work at all. I got a good buy on a tape measure. It still works after 6 months. but I am not counting on much more from it. Just take the money and burn it; much easier than messing with the router.
Wed, Jul 21, 2004, 12:41pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (toller) laments: <snip> and a sawzall that broke the first time <snip>
Mine quit after I completely took apart an old washing machine with it. Opened it up, and found two screws had came loose - that was all that was wrong with it.
You've gotta look at what you're buying from them, some is crap, some is worth buying.
JOAT
We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience. - Nanny Ogg

this
It appears to be my model, a Makita 3612BR plunge router. The one I have is 10 years old and has always performed flawlessly for me, both as a handheld and in a router table. It looks like all the original accessories are there except for the plastic case. Those router bits are included in the sale too. If working properly, in my opinion, it's absolutely worth the $41.99 for the buy it now option. Of course, you would have to factor in the costs for shipping, but for me, it would be worth at least $100 (Canadian funds) if I didn't have one already.
Unfortunately, this is a cheap Taiwanese imitation of a good quality router (by the color they're trying to imitate the Makita brand).
Don't forget, you always end up getting with what you pay for. A similar router from a good manufacturer cost between 150$ and 250$. Do you seriously think that this router is playing in the same league?
Wally
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:36:09 GMT, "David"

It is imitation of the Makita 3612, mind you it might be worth the minimum bid anyhow just for the accessories. I had a customer return from the US last year with what looked to be the exact same thing, he paid $60US in Florida for it, the top bearing had overheated & melted into the housing.....after a thorough search, parts were not obtained & he plans to take it back with him this winter, by that time he will have had it almost a year & used it for 20 mins. The router looked just like a Makita, the name plate looked like Skil, from the outside the router appeared to be excellent, on the inside all the components looked great too....on the other hand looks don't count. Stick with a reputable name brand & you can't go far wrong.
--
Jon Down
Wed, Jul 21, 2004, 9:22am snipped-for-privacy@georgian.net (PWɮTLMAN4)says: <snip> Stick with a reputable name brand & you can't go far wrong.
JOAT
We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience. - Nanny Ogg
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:36:09 GMT, David

You can get a PC690 fixed base for <$200, it will last you forever, and if you decide you don't like it, it'll have some resell value.
But routing is almost as addictive as turning, so that last bit isn't really an issue.
I agree. I think it is better to buy a tool that will last and will be a pleasure to use instead of a tool that is more likely to become a source of frustration.
Jim web site: www.woodblog.com
wrote:

this

It'll be a complete crap shoot - with the odds against you. There's a chance you'll get something that meets your needs. But only a small chance. Only you can solve for the risk/reward ratio required.

I thought it was an original Makita. That's why I thought it to be worth more. How can you tell that it's just a knock-off, the lack of a name on it? I just thought it was a poor quality picture and the name didn't appear well.

it?
Confession - I cannot tell. You thought it was an original Makita, I thought it was a knock-off. Guess only way to find out is to ask the seller.
I did ask the seller and he said it was a generic brand. So it definitely sounds like its one of those imports. My thoughts were that I could cheaply get one of these since the included bit set is nearly worth $40 on its own. Then if it broke down shortly into using it, I could feel better about spending more. Alternatively, if I use it once and then my interest in routing wanes, I am not stuck with a $200+ uber-router.
When most people say this is "bad", is it that it wont handle hardwoods very well because the motors aren't as powerful as they claim (ie: not really 2HP)? Or is it that it performs unreliably (ie: It worked great for 3 hours and then the housing melted on me!)
At only $40.00 with the bits, it seems worth the gamble for the small projects I might use it for.
To put it another way. Would you say this is a better router to start with than the Ryobi 1.5HP router that comes in a kit with router table and *no* bits at Home Depot for $99.00?
--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell

Wanta bet you throw the bits out immediately because they either have no cutting edge or simply disintegrate on first use?

The Ryobi is an underpowered POS that you will find almost useless except on the easiest cuts; but it will last you a while. I have some Ryobi tools, and while they aren't much, they represent a decent value. They have to, because you would just take them back for a refund if they didn't perform.
The router is likely to break the first time you use it. Your seller is going to tell you to send it back to China for warranty service. Which do you think is a better router to start with? (personally, my first router came from a garage sale. Can't believe what I actually made with a 6a router. I used it for a while and then sold it for a profit on Ebay. Only problem is that I now have a bunch of 1/4" bits; I should have started with a decent router and 1/2" bits)
One thing to consider is what you are going to use it for. If you are just going to edge a few boards, and a bit of hobby work, then going with a cheaper router might not be a bad idea. If it breaks (in some brands, when it breaks) then replace it with a unit that also does whatever else you discovered you need.
Consider what attachments come with it, or are available, and how template guides fit in it. I bought a nice (low cost) router which served me well on one project, as my first router wouldn't handle the job, only to discover that when I needed to use a particular template bushing on the next project, it wouldn't work. I had to get another. That makes 3. In some projects, they are all active.
I used to use the rule of getting the first tool of a kind cheap, and replace it with a top of the line unit. That lets me figure out what features I want or need before spending real money. In some cases, the cheap tools have been sufficient, in other cases they were woefully inadequate after a while. Considering that there may be a four to six fold difference in price between bottom and top of the line, it has made sense.
Michael

worth
on
appear

Sounds like your mind is mostly made up, and you were just asking for some additional input. That's fine! Sounds like we're more alike - I often am willing to take a risk if the price is low enough. Again - the risk/reward/cost equation is something only you can make.
Personally? My upper limit would be $30 - a tank of gas. I'd be willing to gamble $30 on it. No more.

very
Probably all. Some will melt or disintegrate. Some will have the collet let go of the bit and trash your work. Some will work wonderfully for years.
In this situation, I'd be tempted to buy it from Harbor Freight. Knowing there's a chance that if it dies, I'd take it back.

Don't put too much faith in the bits. Consider them the "prize" in the cracker jack box. They're likely poor quality too. Same as the router, they might disintegrate and spit parts out at 23,000 rpm, they might slip out'a the collet, or they might just work wonderfully!

No. I'd say this: "A router is an essential tool in the shop. I won't spend $99 on the Ryobi when I can spend $140 for a Porter Cable 690". I'll get a quality router that fits a variety of accessories.
I too got real hung up on a Router Table at first. So much so, I spent $60 at Rockler for their mini-table. Only after using it for several projects did I realize that I really could have used a slab of MDF with a hole in it. If you think you must have a table - either spend the big bux, or go in bare-minimum (the Wolfcraft at HD).
That said that *2HP* Plunge Ryobi got a decent review from a WW rag - but I stand by my decision.
Bits - a whole nuth'a topic. I *invest* in bits and only buy them as I need them.
I cant believe you people, my wife is going to kill me! Now I have to go spend 130$ and buy additional bits. Geez!
<grin> Thanks for the prodding!
Thanks, David W. Lovell
--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell

In that case - please update your will so the rest of us can enjoy your tools when you pass on... ;->