Anyone familiar with Gardena sprinklers? Triangular lawn?

I need new sprinklers for the following tasks:

(1) Watering two 60'x40' TRIAGULAR lawns. Imagine a 60x40 rectangle cut into two halves along a diagonal, that's what I have.

(2) 20'x20' rectangular gardens with plants.

Just by looking around the net, Gardena line of products has caught my eye. They seem good looking and come with a quick-connect system. However, I don't know precisely which models would serve my needs best (that triangle shape is the biggest headache for me). The models are:

  • 3200: Small oscillator, has just range adjustment.

  • 3900: Longer oscillator with range as well width adjustment.

  • 350/T: Range, width, water-flow adjustment, as well as timer.

  • Turbo Impulse type: Normal impulse design I think.

I guess my basic question, is what would work best for a triangle shape lawn.

Reply to
Newbie

The "rain-bird" type oscillating seem to work well. I think I bought

10 different sprinklers and took them all back for various reasons. The more expensive models did not work any better than all-plastic and the cost range was $5 to 45. I suggest buying local and retailers that don't mind giving refunds/returns. I dislike returning merchandise, but this is one item (like antennas) you need to try out. I tried all the Gardena sprinklers and none worked well for me. As it turned out, a Craftsman rain-bird with a sled-type base worked best for me. You may need a timer so you can water just before dawn.
Reply to
Phisherman

: The "rain-bird" type oscillating seem to work well. I think I bought : 10 different sprinklers and took them all back for various reasons. : The more expensive models did not work any better than all-plastic and : the cost range was $5 to 45. I suggest buying local and retailers : that don't mind giving refunds/returns. I dislike returning : merchandise, but this is one item (like antennas) you need to try out. : I tried all the Gardena sprinklers and none worked well for me. As it : turned out, a Craftsman rain-bird with a sled-type base worked best : for me. You may need a timer so you can water just before dawn.

Please forgive my ignorance but I am not sure what you mean by rain-bird. Of course there is a company by that name, but since you wrote Craftsman, probably that's not what you meant. I tried sears.com searching for rain-bird but no luck.

Reply to
Newbie

I prefer impulse systems because the droplets are larger and you can be more specific with where the water goes and you can direct it very low to the ground. Not much water is lost to evaporation with impulse sprays provided you don't use full water pressure. It is better to water with less a jet for longer periods than it is to water with forced stream jets which do evaporate before the water lands.

Reply to
Jangchub

I buy Gilmore products because they have a lifetime warranty and you can buy them at any Lowes or Home Depot.

Reply to
Jangchub

They are called "impulse sprinklers" but Rainbird was the first company to patent them. Try KMart too, since they now carry Craftsman products.

Reply to
Phisherman

: They are called "impulse sprinklers" but Rainbird was the first : company to patent them. Try KMart too, since they now carry Craftsman : products.

OK, I understand. I hope they are the same as "impact" because that is my impression. I must confess to feeling intimidated by that type: the adjustments look so difficult. On most other types, you get regular knobs and sliders. That's what I liked about Gardena's impulse model: the salesperson said adjustments are easier.

I mean just look at the picture: :)

choices from Amazon:

?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1209438524&sr=1-6
?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1209438524&sr=1-22
?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1209438590&sr=1-25I'll brood over it and buy one or two, locally if available, otherwise online. Specific recommendations welcome from all.

Reply to
Newbie

Okay, this is a very simple thing to adjust. The little stainless rims on the body of the sprinkler are slid to the left or right so you can set how far the water shoots out in any left to right direction. This is why I think it is the best model for your triangle shape. You put the unit in the farthest corner where the smallest part of the angle is and adjust it to go left to right, vice versa, till you get the coverage you want. It's very simple.

Reply to
Jangchub

The impulse sprinkler adjustments might look difficult but I found no model "difficult" to adjust. The impulse ("Rainbird") types don't work well at low pressure, but otherwise I think they are the best.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thank you both very much. I was thinking of getting two sprinklers i(f you recall from OP, there are two laegr triangles and two small rectangles to water), so I'll take the plunge and get at least one impact type!

Reply to
Newbie