Anyone catch American Woodshop?

I kinda hate these posts but after watching this I couldnt help but to wonder if anyone else thinks this guy is as much of a dork as I do. I dont often get to watch the pbs woodshows but today on a break from some work I sat down for a sandwich and happened across a show where he had built a stone wall and now was constructing an arbor/gate for the wall. I have seen the show before and he has always seem to be the type of guy that is meticulous to the point of rendering himself ineffective. Not to sound any meaner than my first line, but dork puts this guy in a good light. The reason I am wondering is because today I watched him construct this arbor and the process looked utterly painful and crude for what I am used to seeing from him. In the times I have seen him he usually dawns rubber gloves and a full hazmat suit to apply any type of glue or finish, is fussy to the enth degree, etc. Today he was heaving around 6 x 6's making half laps on a band saw, applied urethane glue without spritzing it with his little spray bottle or squeege'ing it out, on and on. It really looked like a departure for him. I think he might have made a mess in his pant as he was extremely excited about cleaning up a half lap with a slick. He seemed overly enthused to have gotten to work on a project that included an excavator, bobcat, heavy rocks, and such. My wife and I sat there shaking our heads.

Every time I watch him I just wonder how and why.....

Mark

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

You sure that was the name of the show? Scott Phillips has got some pretty good woodworking chops and is a helluva nice guy. Can't believe it is him you are talking about?

Reply to
Swingman

Haven't watched him in quite a while, but I do know that when I did, there were some elements of his behavior that seemed overly obsessive. For example, with a plunge router, after using it and returning the bit to non-plunged configuration, he made the comment, "hold the router until it stops spinning before moving it" This comment makes sense with non-plunge, or those instances when using a bit that extends longer than the plunge mechanism, but when the bit is safely encased in its recessed position, waiting 30 seconds for it to spin down seems obsessive.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yeah, Scott seem to be a nice guy but he is a bit too touchy feeley for my taste and is overly animated. Plus all that talking to himself and phrasing himself for a relative simple tasks gets old. It sounds like he is looking over a students shoulder and coaching him along when you realize he is talking to himself. He however is quite talented and may just have his talent toned down for the type audience and or show that he is working on.

Reply to
Leon