Any good advice on building a shade terrace

I've been asked to build a shade terrace for a friend and would appreciate any helpful advice, tips or ideas.

Firstly, I haven't had much luck finding descriptive plans on shade terraces. I did browse many books on terraces and what not at a variety of places. Funny enough even books on terraces only have one or two terrace photos and a lot of other near related projects. What's up with that? Hmph!!

I'm leaning away from using a lattice/trellis, just doesn't wear or weather well. I was thinking about using 1x2's 1-2" apart across the top. They are thick and fairly cheap and I'd imagine they shouldn't warp much. Any other reasonably cheap but solid ideas? shade cloth isn't an option.. :(

I've seen many different types of joint brackets for where rafters meet the end cross support beam. Which should I use? What size end cross support wood should I use? a 4x4 or 4x6? or ? Should rafters extend past the end cross support beam? Which post anchors or Caps should I consider?

overall dimensions to accomodate a 8x21' concrete slab right outside two sliding doors. They originally had nice awnings until the wind got a hold of em.

questions/considerations for parts list

rafters spacing? 21 feet worth using 2x4's 10-15? should they extend an extra

1ft(8ft+1ft=9ftlong) on top cross support beam supporting posts for end cross beam over 21 feet? 4x4's7 feet apart sound ok? 3 ea.? end cross beam atop 4x4 posts to support rafters 4x4 or 4x6's? to overhang the sides a foot a good idea? rafter brackets to attach to exterior wall of house via a 2x6x21? what type attaching brackets for rafters to end cross support beam? screws or nails ok? for the most part a mitre/table saw,drill/hammer be all I need? I've seen some terraces use bolts. Necessary?

hmn I think that about covers most my concerns. Have any Ideas, pics or plans??

Much appreciated for any suggestions

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
<cmply

helpful advice, tips

did browse many

terraces only

with that? Hmph!!

I was thinking about

imagine they shouldn't warp

cross support beam. Which

doors.

1ft(8ft+1ft=9ftlong) on top cross support beam

sides a foot a good idea?

terraces use bolts. Necessary?

Reply to
nospambob