Another new plane from Lee Valley

I gotta stop this addiction. My birthday was in September. This causes my twitchy fingers to go to the Lee Valley web page and click "What's new" and then start clicking "add to wish list".
Lee Valley has a new router plane, complete with fancy optional fence. They're going to put all the ebay vintage sellers out of business if they keep doing stuff like this. :-)
Bob
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:06:04 GMT, "BillyBob"

No they won't. <G>
The nice vintage stuff rarely gets used, it gets collected and stared at. Veritas planes are terrific values for those of us who want a high quality tool we can use every day.
What it really means is that those of us who want to use our tools don't have to pay idiotic, hyped up collectors prices, or spend an entire day preparing a "user quality" tool properly for use, and spending for a replacement iron. These days, "user quality" seems to have gotten lower and lower, to the point of something found at the bottom of a river is probably graded as such.
Boy, do I love my Veritas planes. The good part about the hype on eBay is that I can sell my old Stanleys as Veritas replacements become available. Even though the antiques work fine, the Veritas versions often have features that make them just "plane" better, at a fair price.
What's funny is that I've found that removing the Hock irons and reinstalling an old Stanley iron makes my not so collectible "user quality" tools sell better on eBay. Go figure.
Barry Who never did understand "collecting" anything as an activity in itself.

You clicked an idea in my brain that did not exist. I came across some good old Stanleys locally at good user prices. I've been thinking that I cannot justify buying an excellent Veritas, if I've got a decent old Stanley. So maybe I could join the hype, sell a couple of old Stanleys and buy a new Veritas. Like you, I use the old Stanleys. I don't collect them.
Bob

That's incredible! I never would have expected that in this day and age... awesome! Great price too.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Not to worry.
Most of us will be dead and in the ground by the time that happens.

Well, buy two of each, one to use and one to save. :-)
--
Lowell Holmes

More reason to be a Neander! Now if we can get them to make a #45 replica that's cheaper than the Clifton...
Layne
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:06:04 GMT, "BillyBob"