another motor question

Hey All, I had upgraded my older Delta 14 inch bandsaw to include a riser kit and a 3/4 hp moter (from its original 1/2 hp). This was done to resaw many feet of 6 inch pine (and other stuff too). I have not noticed any difference in cutting ability. In some cases, the newer setup seems more prone to blade stall than the 1/2 hp. I think the belt is tensioned properly and the blade tesion is set appropriately too. Before I buy a new 1hp moter - I got the 3/4 for free - do you think I could benefit from placing a slightly smaller pulley on the motor side to deliver more torque? (Or is speed as necessary as power when resawing?) Thanks in advance, Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

You mentioned that the 3/4 HP motor was free. Is it possible that it's a fan motor or some other type of motor less suited to a bandsaw? Is it same RPM as orignal motor?

Reply to
lwasserm

All motors are not created equal. Unless it is from a reputable mfg, the power is more closely related to amperage then mfg's power claim. Measure the amps on you 3/4 when it is working hard. You may find it is smaller than your 1/2 hp.

My 1 hp labors on 5" of oak. It would be absurd to put a raiser on an try

8".
Reply to
Toller

The most important thing is the right blade set up properly. What blade are you using? It should be 4 tpi or less.

It's also possible the blade is getting dull or needs to be cleaned, which would explain your decreasing perfomance.

That said, my Delta does have a two position pulley with a lower speed for resawing and it does help. The two speeds are 3300 fpm and 2500 fpm.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Pine. Says resin and lots of it warming and grabbing as the blade passes. Are you giving a solvent wipe every couple of boards trying to stay even? Even if it's the friendliest sort - eastern white - it's a problem. Nevermind tamarack.

Torque, unless you're slowing the motor to the point the starter kicks in again, should make the smallest difference in a solution that includes blade, bearings, blocks, tension and feed rate. "Bigger hammer" is a joke for a reason.

Reply to
George

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies. I could not see the group at home as my computer died Sunday morning. The motor (GE, I think) is from a vacuum pump that was not repairable and it has been known to run for up to 30 days at a time. Speed is

1750 and it can be wired 230 if necessary (and yes, it is turning in the correct direction too). The vaccuum pump repair company said the motor was in perfect condition but the vp components would have cost more than 60 % of a new pump and he advised me to buy a new unit and keep the motor for a spare drive. Having said that I will make an amperage check of both motors. Maybe the vp does not require the torque that sawing demands. I am using a 3/4 inch, 4 tpi blade. I have not considered resin buildup but will take that into thought before I cut again. I also do not hear the motor slow down to the point of the starter click in. Maybe my problem is not motor stall but belt slippage in spite of my tension being real tight. I'll check that tonight if I have time. I have about 20 more boards to cut but if the bandsaw does not work real well I may end up using my table saw and flipping the boards. I know that will do the job. Thanks again for your comments.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Most bandsaws will slip the blade on the tires due to loose dust before the belt slips.

I don't think I'd go loading the belt until I cleaned up the tires and found things were still inadequate.

Reply to
George

Hi Marc,

What brand blade are you using? I have a Grizzly G1019 bandsaw with a

3/4 HP motor. When I first got the saw I was using a 1/2" 3 TPI blade purchased from Grizzly Tools. I couldn't cut 4" of pine without the bandsaw bogging down and producing a barreled cut. I have since switched to Suffolk Timberwolf blades and have resawn 11" of oak successfully.

Not all blades are equal. I'd try a Timberwolf (faster but rougher cut) , Highland Hardware "Wood Slicer" (smoother but slower cut), or an Olsen Pro blade (least expensive).

Reply to
Nova