Another Electrical question

Page 3 of 3

One more thing: If you can not comprehend my question, by God don't answer it!
I don't want electrical advice from someone that can't understand a simple question.

answer
Oh great. Now reading comprehension counts. What's next, a test? Crap. I hate tests.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Fret not; they'll be true/false and most of the answers will be "C". <g> Pop
When I had a 220V circuit added for my shop I had the electrician put in an outlet at a convenient location and told him I wanted a 20ft. cord. I just move the cord wherever I need it. I purchased one of those rubber/plastic covers that sits flat on the floor and protects the cord. There are probably better ways to do this but this one is convenient and, I think, safe. As other posters have said in this thread, you could make the cord yourself as long as you get the right materials and plugs.

You don't need to spend the money for a heavy duty extension cord. As Rich said in his post, wiring for 220 means your tools will be drawing half the current they do now. Even a cheap 16 gauge cord would likely handle your bandsaw. A 14 gauge would handle your tablesaw very easily.
More voltage = less current. That's why super-high voltage transmission lines can supply electricity for thousands of households and businesses with relatively skinny wires.
Josh
stoutman wrote:

Josh your absolutely correct. The main reason I recommend a heavy duty cord is more for wear resistance than current capability. A good heavy duty cord from the borg costs around $25.00 and will last allot longer in a shop environment. Rich

stoutman wrote:

Sure you can. And no, you can put an extension cord in anything you like. As part of the house wiring (which an extension cord isn't) you likely need to ground the conduit. You're a wood worker, so route a extension cord diameter slot in a piece of 1by to cover the cord. If it were me, and I have already done it, I wouldn't surface mount a piece of regular house cable 10-12 gauge and cover it with a protective wood cover, as above.
I have a two-headed extension cord that feeds my BS and jointer. It cost me about $20 in material to make. If you have an electrical supply place near by they have some much nicer stuff than the borg. They had some really nice heavy weight (10 or 12 gauge) with a thick but soft plyable rubber outer casing that makes a very nice tool cord. IIRC is was only 27cents/ft.
The female end is just a metal box with two 220V recepticles. Simple an effective.
-Steve

outlet.
think
flexible

What I have elected to do is to install a single duplex NEMA 6-20R receptacle in the wall.
12-2+G to the receptacle.
20 A breaker for the branch circuit.
Each machine has a long cordset, usually SOOW (extreme service, oil and water resistant), and a NEMA 6-15P or 6-20P, as required.
I do have a couple of "extension cords", 6-20P to 6-20R, 12-2+G SOOW for special cases (table saw outside cutting dozens of boards).
SOOW is also available in #10 (down to #2, actually).
The 240 volt receptacle I use is a Hubbell 5462 (also subbed by Leviton and others), which is an all-nylon extreme service type. These accept both NEMA 6-15 and 6-20 plugs.
For 120 volts, I use a Hubbell 5262 receptacles, also an all-nylon extreme service type.
Expect to pay about $16, list, for a 5462 (about half that for a 5262), but also expect these to last a lifetime.
My electrical contractor association gave me a pdf of the 2005 electrical code. I can post it on ABPW, or e-mail it to someone that can host it. It is almost 5 megs. My e-mail is bogus on this account.. If there is an interest let me know, but I think it might be to big to post to the binary gorup.
Mike M

I'd be interested. I don't use Forte, but I'm guessing that it will automagically break a 5MB post into a number of appropriately-sized posts if you were to post it to a.b.p.w.
todd

Isn't that copyrighted material by the NFPA? They don't generally just give it away.
scott
I would assume so as I usually buy it every 3 years in several forms. I assume they must have gotten permission to distribute it. Its on my work computer so I'll have to look maybe I'm not allowed to share it.
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:21:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 05:53:28 -0800, Mike M
I can assure you, you are not. Your company bought a license for a certain number of copies. NFPA is almost as protective as Disney of their intellectual property. Worse than Gates.
Since there has only been one request to post and a strong question as to if its proper I won't be posting which should save a lot of band width. Mike M
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:36:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Mike M wrote:

Heh, I don't think there's any question about it. :)
Although, if, as someone said, they only needed page so-and-so, it'd be "fair use" to copy that one page to a .pdf file to send or post.
To be "fairer", you might want to underline the relevant passage first, put an exclamation point by it, and perhaps a note linking it tothe question.

er
--
email not valid

I'd be interested in a copy by email if you can.