Another Electrical question

I've said this before and will say it again. There are three types of electrical advice you will get on this group. (1) Right. (2) Wrong. (3) Dangerous. If you have to ask, you aren't qualified to know the difference and should consult an electrician before you burn your house down/kill yourself.

Reply to
CW

The same could be said for woodworking advice! (1) Right. (2) Wrong. (3) Dangerous. If you have to ask, you aren't qualified to know the difference.

Maybe we should abandon this forum!

Reply to
stoutman

Ever been to a rock concert? An outdoor event with large scale PA systems? A carnival? Ever notice those big thick black electrical cords that everyone is trudgin over? Tens of thousands of feet daily. Laying in mud puddles.

Get the right stuff and your fears will be moot. You don't need the same heavy cords that I just referenced but the point is that armor cladding is not necessary for what you're doing. Talk to an electrician. Go to an electrical supply house - a real one. Tell them what you're looking to do and ask them what the properly rated insulation would be for you.

I'm sure someone here can tell you. There are some real live electricians here and there are some hacks like me who know a few to a lot of things. Sometimes ya takes yer chances with the advice you see here because you don't always know who really knows what they're talking about and who is just talking. Go to a pro and you'll stand your best chance of getting the right scoop.

If you're squeamish I don't understand why you would ask a question like this of a woodworking group. Squeamish is good, but why not go to the right source and then you'll really know.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'd have loved to have seen that. Really. I could almost see myself as having done something similar. Now I know for sure - you are the kind of guy that pee'd on an electric fence, just to see...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Oh great. Now reading comprehension counts. What's next, a test? Crap. I hate tests.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Fingers on the same hand? There may be more efficient pathways from one hand to the other than one through the heart, but--sheesh!

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Umm, isn't that the same thing you're responding to? And, IMO, there ARE a couple in particular who should abandon this group. That said, it's the self-healing aspect of most newsgroups that makes them good. This group is pretty good at self-healing for the most part. Pop

Reply to
PopS

Never peed on one, but once as a teen hunting, I did come up from under a barbed wire fence in the brush and placed my sweaty forehead nice & tight against a wire fence just as the pulser turned on. I thought my buddy had clubbed my with his gun butt! And was ready to aim my gun at him until I saw the confused look on his face! What an experience! Live & learn; if you're lucky enough.

Pop

Reply to
PopS

Fret not; they'll be true/false and most of the answers will be "C". Pop

Reply to
PopS

Yes, maybe YOU should.

Reply to
CW

Josh your absolutely correct. The main reason I recommend a heavy duty cord is more for wear resistance than current capability. A good heavy duty cord from the borg costs around $25.00 and will last allot longer in a shop environment. Rich

Reply to
Rich

Right back at ya sport!

Reply to
stoutman

Maybe THAT is what happened with Cheney?

Reply to
Robatoy

FINGER singular, on hand. The terminals were about 1" apart.

Reply to
Leon

I have a two-headed extension cord that feeds my BS and jointer. It cost me about $20 in material to make. If you have an electrical supply place near by they have some much nicer stuff than the borg. They had some really nice heavy weight (10 or 12 gauge) with a thick but soft plyable rubber outer casing that makes a very nice tool cord. IIRC is was only 27cents/ft.

The female end is just a metal box with two 220V recepticles. Simple an effective.

-Steve

Reply to
C&S

Whew. You said it was a 12" battery and I figured the terminals were on opposite ends.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

What I have elected to do is to install a single duplex NEMA 6-20R receptacle in the wall.

12-2+G to the receptacle. 20 A breaker for the branch circuit.

Each machine has a long cordset, usually SOOW (extreme service, oil and water resistant), and a NEMA 6-15P or 6-20P, as required.

I do have a couple of "extension cords", 6-20P to 6-20R, 12-2+G SOOW for special cases (table saw outside cutting dozens of boards).

SOOW is also available in #10 (down to #2, actually).

The 240 volt receptacle I use is a Hubbell 5462 (also subbed by Leviton and others), which is an all-nylon extreme service type. These accept both NEMA 6-15 and 6-20 plugs.

For 120 volts, I use a Hubbell 5262 receptacles, also an all-nylon extreme service type.

Expect to pay about $16, list, for a 5462 (about half that for a 5262), but also expect these to last a lifetime.

Reply to
peterh5322

"Forum"??? That's what you use for containing a containing concrete when you pour it, isn't it?

They definitely should be abandoned -- the wet concrete ruins the surface of the wood. It's usually not good for firewood, either.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Oy Vey!

Reply to
stoutman

No that is "Form"

Forum is a quantity. I want forum. 1 for me, 1 for joe, 1 for bill, and 1 for ted. Gimme forum, please.

Reply to
Leon