Another wiring question

Yep, I'm still re-wiring the house.

My lounge shares an internal wall with the hall. To save on chasing out for new light switch cables, is it allowable to share a chase on just one side of the wall with light switches for both rooms? That is, it will be easy for me to chase the hall wall for its light switch, but it would be great to be able to use that chase for the cable for the lounge light switch too, which is directly on the other side of the wall. Ta, as always.

Reply to
Grumps

Sounds OK but check it meets the tests for "safe zones" - see

Robin

Yup that is fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message <see0t7$761$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Grumps snipped-for-privacy@here.com writes

Have you considered putting the lounge light switch next to the hall light switch? We have several rooms where the light switch is immediately outside the room, which makes sense when you think about it. The light in the room is then on when you walk in, and not off until you have exited.

We inherited the wiring and switch positions, but didn't take long to get used to the idea.

Reply to
Graeme

Fine, but depending on the wall thickness it might be a good idea to offset the back boxes from each other.

To do this I would bring both cables down the same chase but just above the back boxes drill through at an angle so the cable enters from above on the "reverse" back box. Only a couple of inches above.

Even if the wall is thick enough do allow direct back to back I would still enter the cables from above.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

That's how my 1976 house was wired (one chase in the lounge and a hole through the 3inch block wall into the hall where the thermostat was fitted. Lounge light switch cable sharing the drop conduit.

Reply to
Andrew

Out of interest, are many people opting for Qinetic wireless switches? The equipment will set you back about £45 per light, but it saves a lot of chasing and a bit of cable. Plus, a lot of mess, if people are living in the house.

Reply to
GB

I've got a 2gang switch+receiver that I was going to fit for my dad, but did get round to it, not got a use for it at moment. Neighbour has fitted a couple for lights in/on garage, and he says the sparky that fitted his garage CU is using them more and more.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting point. Could have done with them 30 years ago when rewiring my 18th century cottage, which was quite awkward in places.

Reply to
newshound

No, not in South Yorkshire.

Reply to