Angle grinder for cutting wood

Page 2 of 4
On 15/05/2010 23:02, js.b1 wrote:

There are a few variations:
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/recipsaw.htm

Standard recip saws are cheaper for the machine, and *much* cheaper for the blades

--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:42:40 +0100, John Rumm

Checked out that page and have even more tool-envy. I've never seen a Scorpion saw in the US, either.<g> [and searches of B& D's US site don't show it]
Jim
On 16/05/2010 22:07, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Ah, well I *had* one of those. Took me ages to find someone to give it away too! ;-)
A bit like:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
They seem to be very popular, but I can't understand why! I can only assume they are bought by infrequent DIYers who have not had the chance to use a proper recip saw or a decent jigsaw.
They have a very short stroke, and fairly fine teeth so cut very slowly. They use B&D single source blades that are expensive. They vibrate excessively. The larger saw looking blade tends to set up side to side vibration so much that the end tends to hack a wide trench out of the wood rather than cutting it. It has a jigsaw mode where it behaves just like the worst jigsaw you have ever used only not as well.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:28:22 +0100, John Rumm

Only in England you say??? Pity!! (NOT)

On 17/05/2010 04:34, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Now those you can get in the US, you lucky people!
(although the blades are cheaper there - $8.50 vs about 12 ($17) here).
--
Cheers,

John.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 18/05/2010 08:57, Lobby Dosser wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened) That's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very good for pruning etc. Not the same as the other DeWalt Alligator saw mentioned before... just to add to the confusion!
--
Cheers,

John.

Also looked like there might be some issues with them.

For added confusion, Black and Decker used to sell a two bladed reciprocating saw like the De Walt that was also called "Alligator". They may even have been the same saw rebranded. See e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Black-Decker-Alligator-Saw-blades-DeWALT-DW390-/320529867339?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aa111a24b
On 18/05/2010 19:02, Alan Braggins wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-Black-Decker-Alligator-Saw-blades-DeWALT-DW390-/320529867339?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aa111a24b Not too surprising since DeWalt are owned by B&D these days... (as are Elu)
--
Cheers,

John.

On 18 May 2010 19:02:29 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Alan Braggins) wrote:

Lest you forget, Dewalt IS Black and Decker.
aemeijers wrote:

What he said. I had to replace my evaporative cooler and got a reciprocating saw to cut up the old one. I looked at Harbor Freight and decided that going with a good Milwaukee Sawzall was going to be more cost effective in the long run. It doesn't cut pretty, but it is quick and effective at reducing large pieces of junk to small pieces of junk.

Rob Leatham

A wood cutting plade for an angle grinder is available. I is a disk with chainsaw teeth on it. Think it is used for carving. Definitly not what you want.
Jimmie

disc for the mini grinder.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001846/3014/2-Industrial-Blade-for-Mini-Grinder-Woodworking-Kit.aspx
The capacity for this thing to grab things and throw them into your body is probably infinite. The only way I would use anything like this if the material was locked down into a big, secure vise. I would also wear gloves, face protection and heavy clothing.
In some ways this is like cutting small limbs with a chain saw. The saw grabs anything that is not solidly secured and throws it. And a certain percentage of the time it hits you. And it hurts.
The number one rule of cutting anything small like this is to secure the stock before cutting it. Any movement of the stock can be dangerous.
On 15/05/10 21:00, john hamilton wrote:

I saw some discs in Alsford Timber the other day that were available in 9" and 12" (might have been a 4-odd inch too) that were advertised for wood, especially tree roots. They had some almighty lumps (1/8-1/4") of abrasive (maybe carbide) suck on the side. Looked bloody viscous - sadly I can't remember the name.
A google for angle grinder and tree roots might turn up something... Or ring Alsfords in Hastings (assuming you're in the UK) and ask them what those bastard evil discs on the front counter in the display stand are called...
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

diamond discs would gum up from resins and overheat quickly. They are made for ceramics and metals,not wood.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 15/05/10 23:53, Jim Yanik wrote:

It wasn't a diamond disc - very clearly nothing like one to the eye - in fact I've never seen anything like it before...
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

I've seen 4" blades for angle grinders that incorporate a chainsaw chain. They're used for coarse shaping for carvings. In fact, I saw one in use making a totem pole in Alaska and it really worked well.
I also have seen a 4" disk with extremely coarse carbide crystals on it, but it was for use in an oscillating saw that just looked like an angle grinder, and was used more for sanding than for cutting.
--
Nonny
On most days,
Nonny wrote:

being cut can be thrown clear of the next tooth. If the blade cannot clear itself, there is just friction but no cutting. In the old days B&D used to do a 5" circular saw blade as a drill attachment. Can't imagine what it could have been used for, but at least it wasn't spinning at 10,000 rpm

I have one of these on the shelf in the garage, but the drill gave up (the day I just bought several new blades for it, of course). It worked well for 10+ years, before dedicated circular saws were available at affordable prices. B&D had a load of drill attachments of that form. My father also had the circular saw one, but also the jigsaw and the hedgecutter attachments (and probably some I've forgotten).
However, this brings up an important point... An angle grinder spins much faster than the safe operating speed for a circular saw blade, so don't even think about going there.
--
Andrew Gabriel