Angle for skew chisels

After having wanted a pair of skew chisels for years, but being to cheap to buy them and too lazy to make them, I finally found a new set of Crown (the brand sold by Woodcraft) on E**** for about half price. They were new and 1/2" wide, and long enough to make them quite useful. I am sorry now that I did not get them years ago. The grinding on them is pretty crude, and they are too polished and rounded (over buffed) for my taste. Picked up some nice Marples boxwood handled 5/8" chisels to make a pair for me and one for my son. The Crown chisels have a 45 degree skew, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Skew angle? On the ones I am making I will rough them out on my belt grinder then finish them on my Tormek - I don't think there is a problem grinding the right angle (25 degrees) with the skew. I could do trial and error witht the skew angle, but that could waste a lot of chisel. Any advice or experience would be appreciated. Wow, it this turns out I might go for the "40 marples for $150" special and make 20 sets - make a lot of friends happy. Thanks
Stephen
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Spoefish) wrote in message

Know exactly which ones you talking about. Mine are not as "polished" anymore - slightly rusty now... They are still quite handy, though. But the steel is nothing to write home about.

Not really. I left mine with the original skew. My carving skews are all less than 45. More like somewhere around 30. And of course, they have a bevel on both sides and are used for a totally different purpose.
So I can't comment much on how a different skew angle might make a difference. Bevel angle, of course, would be the same old-same old: paring cuts = low angle, chopping cuts = high angle.
Spoefish wrote:

If you want them for cleaing out lapped drawer dovetails, you want 'em a little steeper than your DT angle.
BugBear