Lapping chisels

I am trying to start a topic on good and favorite ways to lap chisels

Reply to
ddinc

I use whatever it takes.

once one is in good working shape, a few strokes with a fine white arkansas stone does it.

if I do some major work on the bevel, or if it's fresh from the yard sale but not too bad, I'll generally work it over with the 100 grit diamond stone

I have one really great (and really abused) chisel that has seen the flat of my grinding wheel for close to an hour so far, and likely has about as much to go.

Reply to
bridger

I use a leather strop charged with aluminium oxide.

rcook5

Buying flat chisels in the first place. This has to be my least favourite job for most-boring and least-rewarding.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

that's not lapping...

Reply to
bridger

I've never seen a new chisel that was lapped flat enough for my satisfaction. not to say that the new lie nielsens or some bridge city product wouldn't be there, but I'm not in that market sector : ^ )

Reply to
bridger

Cheat.

Japanese

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Scary sharp. I use a 9x12 granite block with one surface flat (Grizzly for around $29), start with 200grit SC wet/dry sandpaper (use 100grit if the back is really non-flat), then work up to at least

400grit (higher is better, but flat with 400grit is an acceptable stopping place)

Then use the same setup to sharpen

John

Reply to
John

You are actually able to find reasonable tools at Tucson garage sales? I haven't found anything beyond a few newish Stanley or Buck Bros tools or new, really cheap planes.

I'm probably looking in the wrong places.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita