An idiot and his table saw...

Not me. She should have been sterilized for being so stupid, hopefully before she had any idiot offspring.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:30:34 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Unfortunately, letting those people doing their stupid things carte blanche frequently ends up with society paying the cost of that stupid act. And then, there are those other people injured when the person does that stupid thing. Society usually ends up paying for those too.

The only solution is to find a happy medium between the nanny state and the freedom to do stupid stuff state. What that happy medium is though, I have no idea.

Reply to
Dave

The hot coffee douche didn't take care of that? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Third degree burns" are very specific. 180F water doesn't do that sort of damage.

DOn't be absurd.

So sip it to cool it. The *fact* is that McD's isn't a sit-down restaurant. People want to take the coffee with them. McD's *DID NOT* tell her to hold the hot coffee in her crotch. That was all her idea.

Good Lord, you're stupid.

They are *TOTALLY* irrelevant to the issue. They may have provoked her to sue but they should be TOTALLY irrelevant to the issue before the courts, i.e. whether McD's was at fault.

You really should learn something about logic.

Reply to
krw

Crap brewer. It's to be expected in this society of lawyers.

Reply to
krw

Gunner on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 01:22:02 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Also something which McD's had been sued about before - burns from overly hot coffee.

Tissue destroyed is tissue destroyed - be it by fire, or boiling water. And in this case, he clothes acted to hold that fluid in place.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Better than being a stupid asshole. I'll be waiting the results of your attempt to drink 180 degree water. Or even 160 degree.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It was too many years too late. Someone said she had it between her knees, in the passenger seat, yet it 'ended up in her lap'. I would hold the driver responsible.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Anyone who wants to brew a decent cup of coffee will use water at near boiling Presso machines actually use superheated steam

By the time a fresh brewed cup of black coffee gets to you , it's still closer to boiling than sipping temperature That's why people pour it into cold cups, add sugar and cream or milk. To cool or give the coffee time to cool to drinking temp

Most people are smart enough

- to know that a fresh-brewed cup of coffee was brewed with boiling water

- not to stick an open cup with fresh coffee between their knees while sitting in a car

- accept that if they do such a stupid thing, MacD's didn't put the cup there = THEY DID

That's why that female extortionist gets so little sympathy from the general public

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Oh, my, I'll miss you dear....

See, a discussion would be more meaningful if you had actual facts and specifics instead of just wandering around. Never made the statements? Exactly what statements are those that you claim that I falsely ascribed to him?

That I said he dragged Bush and Obama into a discussion about SawStop?

He didn't? Then someone must have hijacked his computer when this post was made:

"Every one from obama who is still blaming President Bush for his failures to the man working in his garden. "

You then claimed that I was dragging ideology into the discussion? Better look up the definition. Keith clearly has an ideologoy of his own, that I would call misguided. His belief is that all accidents stem from lack of personal reposnibility, negating the need for safety devices, which of course is nonsense on both counts. All accidents don't stem from lack of personal responsibility and even if that were true, it still does not negate the usefullness of safety devices. Given his reference to Obama and the above, I then simply posed the question about conservatives. Virtually all of them extole the virtues of self reliance, taking personal responsibility. So, none of them have table saw accidents, right?

=A0>You should

I turned it into a philosohy? Keith has the philosophy I outlined above and posted it here. Just because I showed you it doesn't make any sense, all of a sudden, I'm the bad guy?

As for it being your last post, that's probably a good idea. Because you're incapable of addressing any specifics, and are now resorting to insults and lies.

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:e835a6b3- snipped-for-privacy@p15g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Sometimes people get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, even if they always have been. It's a warning not to ever again exceed the local speed limit. Like the cop said: "Oh my, we got us a local".

Reply to
Han

You certainly should know.

You really are an illiterate moron.

Reply to
krw

I think the 79 years of being a stupid bitch took care of that.

Reply to
krw

It wasn't. She was careless. Her fault.

Lies noted. Case lost.

Reply to
krw

I did measure the temperature of the coffee in the carafe as it brewed, around the time the McDonalds case was in the news.

Hmm. Perhaps the water pouring onto the grounds is hotter, but this isn't easily user accessible. Perhaps I will measure it tomorrow.

I don't recall what the coffeepot manual says, if it has one, or if it says anything. The pot was bought years before the case. Commercial coffeepots may well serve hotter.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Right around 200F is the optimum temperature to brew coffee and extract the flavor. I agree that at 140F, I would expect crap coffee and I would be surprised to find a decent coffee maker that brews it at that temp. Also note that if you measure the temp in the carafe, it's going to be substantially below the temp where the water is in contact with the coffee.

I use a french press and an electric kettle to brew mine. The kettle heats the water to boiling and then that combined with the coffee and the room temp french press puts it right around 200F.

Reply to
trader4

Everyone has accidents, but not purchasing medical and disability insurance is a choice. Why should a successful business be punished by having to cover the deadbeats?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I assume you're referring to Obamacare? I don't believe Obamacare is the right approach and there are better ways of achieving the same thing with less govt involvement. But here is the essence of the problem. Not only are businesses already covering the cost of deadbeats, most of the public is. What do you think happens when the guy with no insurance, low pay or no job, etc has an accident and runs up a $100K hospital bill? We are all paying it for it now. The business and individuals pay for it in the form of higher insurance costs. We pay for it in the form of outrageous hospital charges when we go there. One big reason an aspirin costs $10 in a hospital is so that they can use that money to offset their losses from the guy who shows up sick or from an accident with no insurance.

Now, please tell me you're not going to pretend that problem isn't real, that we can just make the guy pay, like another poster here. If anything, REQUIRING everyone to have medical insurance is the personal responsibility approach, because it makes everyone have a means to pay for their own care.

Reply to
trader4

Because according to the idiots, that would make you bad person

Frankly I don't have a problem with people donating to private charity to help the needy But when the government starts picking your pocket to do it, I have a problem One only has to look at how UNsuccessfull government is about solving the problem All their "welfare" programs are spiraling out of control BECAUSE of ALL the leaches that are hanging on to the tit. And these idiots want to attract even more leeches

Reply to
Attila Iskander

I measured my coffeepot (Krups) this morning - the brew and serve temperature is 180 F, not the 140 F I recalled. Now that I think about it, I measured the dishwasher water temperature around the same time, and it was 140 F for "Normal" wash, so I probably mixed the answers up.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn