Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

Page 7 of 9  

wrote:

Which begs the question, why post the same question so many times.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

He also suffers from a common problem among wreck regulars. A complete lack of self control. Lee Valley should start marketing Depends to these guys. They would really clean up financially. Of course Canadians would be charged more.<g>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:26:58 GMT, "Leon"

Each of my posts was to a particular poster who had responded.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
LRod did say:

Even retards deserve a response.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:32:12 -0500, WoodMangler

Buhbye!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Perhaps you can shove it. They are a reputable company that sells fine products. If you have a problem with them take your huge amount of business elsewhere. Lee Valley owes you no explanations.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Well you know the drill Frank, bend over and spreadem!<g>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have _zero_ knowledge of Lee Valley's actual operations.
I *do* have considerable experience with large catalog preparation, publishing, and distribution. It is a _big_, *EXPENSIVE*, job.
You can safely assume that anything you see in the catalog was 'cast in stone' at least 60 days before the _first_ mailings. That's the kind of time it takes to do the printing and binding, addressing, and appropriate 'bundling' for least-cost mail delivery.
On top of that, there is another 45 days, minimum, for the typesetting of the changed pages, proofing, doing the color separations, etc. that are required to have the material ready to 'go to press'.
If they're printing from a 'database', then 'applying' the 'decided upon' currency conversion can be done for the entire catalog "shortly before" they start the typesetting stage. If they use 'rounded' conversions -- so the price comes out as 49.99, instead of 50.07, for example, somebody has to review all the roundings, and possibly over-ride a round-up/round-down decision. Pricing for every _new_ item (i.e. 'not previously published') has to be manually reviewed, to ensure that there were no errors in the database entry/extraction/conversion formulas for *that* item. This adds a week or two to the time-line.
If there is any 'body copy' that makes indirect/imprecise reference to pricing, then the pricing has to be set _before_ that body copy is written. This shoves things back another couple of weeks, at least.
Thus, pricing ends up 'frozen' a good *FOUR*MONTHS* before the first catalogs go in the mail.
Now, it is a _fact_ that the value of the Canadian Dollar, vs the American Dollar was _falling_ from the first week in January, 2004, through the first week of June, 2004. And the international futures markets show that the _world_at_large_ expected (as late as Mid-May, 2004) that the Canadian Dollar would remain in the US$0.71-0.75 range, *THROUGH* September of 2005. That's right, the year TWO THOUSAND FIVE.
Starting in _mid-May, 2004_, the _further_out_ (i.e. Sept, 2005) projected value of the CAN$ started to rise. It wasn't until the 1st week of June, however, that the September, 2004 projected value started to rise.
It is an indisputable fact that the world-at-large did *NOT* see the run-up in the value of the CAN$ coming. Early Spring 2004, expectations were that the CAN$ was going to _loose_ another 1-2 cents by Summer/Fall 2005.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:58:44 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Maybe back in the stone age.
I used to work for a catalog giant, Eatons, and have friends who work catalog for Sears Canada. They set sale cat pricing 20 days or LESS before the book hits the streets.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

In fact, _two_years_ ago. For a U.S.-based company in the same line of business as Lee Valley, as it happens.

A 'sale catalog', by definition, is not a large catalog. The production process is much different for a sale catalog. You get that ability to set pricing much closer to mailing date at a significantly higher production cost.
Funny thing, too. you can get much faster turn-around on a large number of copies of a relatively small number of pages, than on a relatively small number of copies of a large number of pages.
There is also the issue of the _number_ of people you're willing to throw at the task. Which has to be amortized over the number of copies produced.
And whether the catalog production is the _only_ thing they do, or whether they have to do 'something else' _most_ of the time.
A *BIG* company, like Sears, or Eatons, has a large advantage in all those areas; a *much* bigger base -- at least two orders of magnitude -- to amortize costs across, *Dedicated* departments/staff doing the work. and and producing _many_ publications per year.
They spend considerably more on advertising, per dollar of revenue/profit, and which is reflected in the amount of 'mark-up' they have to take. On the other hand, because of the 'economies of scale', they get *more* 'value' per dollar spent on catalog production.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:35:33 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Do you really have a clue? I don't think you do.
Sears sale books in Canada are at least double the page size of Lee Valleys MAIN books.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
(RobertBonomi)

You're really not too bright are you? Have you ever looked at pictures of products from Sears between editions of catalogue? They're all the same picture. You can go back a few years and aside from the addition of new products, they're *all* the same picture.
Lee Valley issues new catalogues with a large proportion of new pictures. That takes time and money.
Now top playing the ignorant whiner and screw off like a good little boy. You may like being a troll, but there isn't anybody I know that appreciates being disliked all the time. You contribute exactly nothing to this news group. I've yet to see one supporter of your argument, so again, why don't you leave? You're not wanted here. Only the basest idiot stays where they're not appreciated. It's sheer lunacy to do otherwise.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What does this have to do with anything. My local auto seller puts out a paper every week larger than Lee Valley catalogs where virtually everything is new. It's trivial to add prices to a catalog just prior to printing.
I would assume the price is set by Lee Valley just weeks before you have the book in your greedy little hands.
I still maintain that at the time the prices are set Lee Valley is charging Canadians more, because they can get away with it.
Nothing at all to do with costs.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit hey dumbass. Several people have posted supporting my position. For everyone brave enough to post there are probably 4 dozen lurkers who also agree. NO one has disputed the facts I have posted. All you morons have done is post childish flames.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I see. Prove it. What are their names?

So now you're a long distance mind reader? Is it good for you?

I'm a moron, but in this news group you have yet to post one woodworking tip, instruction or helpful link to products.
I ask you again. Why are you here? Is the question too difficult to understand? Does it need to be made simpler? Why are you here in this news group? What do you contribute to the art of woodworking?
Answer the question. Why are you here?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No argument here.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So now everybody knows you're a liar. You can't give names of people who have supported you.

Stll waiting for those names liar.

Apparently, you're unable to answer this question. The only fallback you have is to throw some more names at me. How pitiful you are, not being able to contribute in any way, shape or form. That must be really depressing. I'd offer my sympathies, but you're obviously unable to appreciate any type of condolence.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well I must admit, I supported him with the understanding about having to pay too much....
Hope I am not in trouble ( scurries off, tail between legs .... )
Alex
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nobody wants to pay for something if they can find a way to pay less, but that doesn't for one second excuse his attacks on Lee Valley. I think Lee Valley tools are expensive too. I don't like having to pay for anything if I can help it, but the idea of LV not existing at all is much less desirable than what it costs me to buy from them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

that they DO exist than not, I've made one small order thus far, and I would love to have the LA BP! I also think their prices are pretty fair as well, except I think the hand planes are just a shot too high, I feel they should be at least 15% to 20 % less. And they could decide to distribute them like their one major competitor does. If I opened my own tool store I would stock Veritas tools, depending upon their purchase requirements.
Alex
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.