aligning inside of single Blum cab hinge w/ solid door?

I have two Blum 'clip' hinges set in about 6" in from the edges of a 24"W x

32" H 11mmT Russian Birch plywood door, There is a 1x2" frame. It is rabetted into the back. The hinge side is screwed tight 6x, and glued in the center only (~5." between center 2 screws). The screws around the other 3 perimeter sides allow the plywood to stay flush with the frame, but float. I chiseled out the 1-3/8" holes for the door side of the hinge and am about to screw the hinge to the door. The door is half-inset (rabetted again outside perimeter 4 sides), and is rubbing tightly inset all four sides on the inside of the panels of the fusebox panel box frame.

I could put the door into position and it will sit (It ain't going anywhere in ANY direction).

How do I mark the initial locations for the holes for the frame side of the hinge. They are the clip kind, so I could separate them instantly. But I cannot peek around nor behind when the door is closed. There is no side, nor back, nor does the inside panel from the frame come out. The panel and frame were both chiseled simultaneously to fit the hinge door side.

There is according to Blum all kinds of adjustment built into these hinges, but I afraid to experiment because they are at factory default.

I could measure and guess, and hope there is enough adjustment, but I wouldn't know where to start - I'm pushing it as it is (and maybe sanding here and there too).

OR, could I make some temporary hold-down clamps (toggle-style) of scrap wood screwed to the inside of the frame to the hold the clip on frame-side tight enough to push the doors into position when the door is closed, then open the door (if I can, if they are held tight enough), and then mark the drill holes.

Reply to
bent

I just had to glue as well as screw first. didn't I

Reply to
bent

Measure and you might have to consider cutting the door such that it does not fit as tightly.

Factory default IMHO does not exist. I have seen them come with a range of adjustments and I buy these type hinges by the 100's. Just center the adjustments and go from there.

Typically the up and down measurement is the tough adjustment. You can determint this by .. Mounting both complete hinges on to the door. Mount the cabinet side of the hinges on to a 1x4 that is shorter than the door. Remove the door from the hinges and then screw the 1x4 on to the cabinet in a location that you think would be correct. Remount the door and check for up and down clearance. Readjust the 1x4 as needed. Yes, the door will not close completely because it overlaps the side. Once your up and down location is determined measure the top or bottom hinge distance from the top or bottom and use that reference to locate where to attach to the actual cabinet after removing the 1x4.

Reply to
Leon