Re-aligning garage door -- keeps coming down crooked

I've got a center sprint mounted automatic garage door where somehow the gu= ide/pull wires came off the pulley. I've messed around with a couple of h= ours and re-wrapping the wire on the pulleys, trying to make them equal len= gths seems to have no effect I can't seem to balance them out. The door st= arts down just fine but inevitably one side is lower than the other an the = lower side starts to rub the rail. =20

What is the technique to aligning this?

Reply to
noname

guide/pull wires came off the pulley. =A0 I've messed around with a couple = of hours and re-wrapping the wire on the pulleys, trying to make them equal= lengths seems to have no effect I can't seem to balance them out. =A0The d= oor starts down just fine but inevitably one side is lower than the other a= n the lower side starts to rub the rail.

Start from scratch. De-tension all springs, re-wrap the lift cables and re-tension the springs.

I had the "door jams side to side" issue and solved it this way. I never did discover the specific source of the jam.

If all the hardware is in good shape (no bad hinges or rollers, no bent tracks) the door should behave smoothy. It should raise & lower symmetrically.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

guide/pull wires came off the pulley. I've messed around with a couple of hours and re-wrapping the wire on the pulleys, trying to make them equal lengths seems to have no effect I can't seem to balance them out. The door starts down just fine but inevitably one side is lower than the other an the lower side starts to rub the rail.

Hi, Is the pulley positioned on the shaft at same spot? Is the cable gauge identical? What about the tension on the cable with door down, identical? I use spring weight scale to measure them. Good luck, and have fun. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I just adjusted mine last week following the DDM Garage Door DIY for aligning garage doors when they're crooked.

Basically, you lower the garage door and with a tape measure you measure the gap distance on the bottom for one side, then just plug door dimensions into a calculator at Dan Musick's web site, and out pops the exact amount you need to slip the cable drum (in your choice of radians, degrees, mm, or inches).

You mark the cable drum that much, and then loosen the lock bolts ever so slowly, and, as the cable drum slips the requisite distance, you lock them back up.

Voila!

Worked for me the very first time!

Reply to
Danny D.