Ah, here's some rare wood for sale!

Hax Planks asks:

assumed

Was his name Sgt. Hartman? Man, that movie was a classic.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'd bet nobody even Grinned.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

He's not sharing...

Funny. I can see a face if I work at it, but it sure doesn't look Jewish to me... :)

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

Perhaps.

However, if one professes to accept scripture as Gods word, then one would have to consider he was perfect, without flaw.

Therefore, he would not look feeble, sickly or emancipated. The images individuals put forth of Jesus in now way fit scripture.

But then again, if you do not profess to believe the Bible is Gods word, well, this is all mute and he is probably depicted just as you would have him.

Reply to
Markndawoods

I don't accept scripture as anything of the kind. Sorry if that offends anyone. But I think you should brush up on religious dogma. According to what I remember, the story goes that Jesus was put here for a short life of trials and hardship. Looking pretty wasn't on the agenda.

Reply to
Hax Planks

He was a carpinter in the age before power tools. He would probably be very muscular from working all those hand tools.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

I think you meant emaciated. Emancipated means having been set free.

I think you meant moot. I'm not trying to sound pedantic, but both words above significantly changed the meaning from what I think you intended to say. HTH

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

Astonishing! I was going through my pile of SYP cutoffs the other day and found a piece with a knot in the exact configuration of God's navel. Should I put it on E-Bay so that others have the same opportunity to marvel?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Wedgewood (the pottery innovator) was a great supporter of the British anti-slavery movement. One of his better known contributions was a (parian ware?) plaque depicting a chained slave and the message "Am I not a man and a brother?" These were a fundraiser for the campaign.

There's a tale that there were supposed to be a pair of these plaque designs, the other showing a freed slave standing proudly and heroically next to a pillar or some other such neo-classical window dressing.

However the sculptor misunderstood slightly, and produced a "freed" slave who looked half-starved and distinctly downcast about his new-found liberty. Not quite "emancipated"...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Why does God have a navel?

Reply to
fredfighter

Everyone needs something to contemplate.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

(-: You're a great straight man. :-)

[A] Because we have navels; and [B] So that we can say that we were made in God's image, which could only be true if God also had a navel.
Reply to
Morris Dovey

Consider that he was a carpenter until the time of his anointing and that he was still physically fit enough to carry his crucifix most of the way to his murder despite the brutal events of the night before.

Turin is known to be a fake.

There is no room to speak authoritatively on this matter, no matter what your viewpoint. A VERY recent article on (IIRC) CNN pointed out why not. Too long to go into in detail now, but the essential point is that previous (physical specimen) examinations of it were limited to a few threads around the edges but that it had recently been made available for some advanced photography stuff applied to the whole of it. There is an additional image on the back of it, not previously visible. One thing I would point out, though, is that the shroud has no religious significance. IE, the story of Jesus and his message of a coming kingdom does not hinge on the authenticity of this (or any other) piece of cloth.

There is a scripture, a prophesy, (I confess to not being able to recall the citation) which stated that Jesus would be ugly. Again, I don't see how his appearance in any way changes his message nor should it change our response to it.

Reply to
Bill

snide comment warning. do not read if you are easily offended, or believe the Enlightenment was a wrong turn.

Speaking purely as someone who has spent his fair share of time in synagogues, I just wanted to point out that the whole `clasping of hands in praryer' is not something I have ever seen in real life during a Jewish ritual. We're usually too busy holding a book.

On a side note, if I was really brave I would follow through on my desire for the classic bumper sticker, ``I AM a Jewish carpenter''

Larry Levinson Talking up to the vocal ... LLevinson*Bloomberg.net (remove the star etc ....)

Reply to
Larry Levinson

sorta like the one I had on the truck, until someone tried to steal it.. " I DO work for food"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis