Ah, here's some rare wood for sale!

Page 1 of 2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemU70655647
" I was out in my garage, cutting some molding for a project, thinking about all my problems. Although I don't regularly attend church services and haven't prayed in years, just this once I said a silent prayer. I prayed for my mother, I prayed for my grandfather, I prayed for my financial recovery and I prayed for John Paul II. At the moment I finished my prayer, I felt a surge of great peace, reassurance and solace, something I've never felt before. I thought nothing of it at first but looked down at the piece of wood I was cutting and was taken aback, literally shocked by the image I saw. It was the unmistakable image of Jesus Christ with his hands folded in prayer! "
And his problems went away. So can yours. ;-)
Actually, it's not a bad piece of wood for a buck!
I didn't know he wore glasses! This changes everything.

And a plaid flannel shirt.
Oh wait, that's Norm...never mind.
Lee

Looks like Lennon to me.
Starting date should have been April 1.
I see a groundhog.

Ah crap, six more weeks...
Lee

I find it strange that he was cutting up a piece of birch plywood (finished, no less) for molding. Wonder what that project looks like!
I am still amazed at how anybody knows what JC was supposed to look like? Was Kodak around back then?
See, I really think that was an image of Judas, and he duped him too!

Markndawoods wrote:

NO back then they had The faithful like "Brother Dominick" with Picture perfect memory who would scribe the Picture on Papyrus. Those were Kodack (Monk) Moments.

shroud of Turin, before it was lost for 1,000 years. I don't really buy either the S/T or the conception (though this piece of wood is probably authentic), but who knows....
toller says...

The shroud of Turin is known to be a fake. The common image of Jesus was heavily influenced by ancient sculptures of Zeus (Jupiter). The Renaissance painters like DaVinci were surrounded by these images. Still, the images may not be as far off as history debunkers claim. He probably had brown eyes and a shade darker complexion, but Jesus was an ancient Jew, not a modern Arab, and probably not very different from a Greek or Roman.
Perhaps.
However, if one professes to accept scripture as Gods word, then one would have to consider he was perfect, without flaw.
Therefore, he would not look feeble, sickly or emancipated. The images individuals put forth of Jesus in now way fit scripture.
But then again, if you do not profess to believe the Bible is Gods word, well, this is all mute and he is probably depicted just as you would have him.

Markndawoods says...

I don't accept scripture as anything of the kind. Sorry if that offends anyone. But I think you should brush up on religious dogma. According to what I remember, the story goes that Jesus was put here for a short life of trials and hardship. Looking pretty wasn't on the agenda.
Markndawoods wrote:

He was a carpinter in the age before power tools. He would probably be very muscular from working all those hand tools.
Glen

I think you meant emaciated. Emancipated means having been set free.

I think you meant moot. I'm not trying to sound pedantic, but both words above significantly changed the meaning from what I think you intended to say. HTH
Gerry
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:22:25 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Wedgewood (the pottery innovator) was a great supporter of the British anti-slavery movement. One of his better known contributions was a (parian ware?) plaque depicting a chained slave and the message "Am I not a man and a brother?" These were a fundraiser for the campaign.
There's a tale that there were supposed to be a pair of these plaque designs, the other showing a freed slave standing proudly and heroically next to a pillar or some other such neo-classical window dressing.
However the sculptor misunderstood slightly, and produced a "freed" slave who looked half-starved and distinctly downcast about his new-found liberty. Not quite "emancipated"...
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:08:45 -0700, Markndawoods wrote:

he was still physically fit enough to carry his crucifix most of the way to his murder despite the brutal events of the night before.

There is no room to speak authoritatively on this matter, no matter what your viewpoint. A VERY recent article on (IIRC) CNN pointed out why not. Too long to go into in detail now, but the essential point is that previous (physical specimen) examinations of it were limited to a few threads around the edges but that it had recently been made available for some advanced photography stuff applied to the whole of it. There is an additional image on the back of it, not previously visible. One thing I would point out, though, is that the shroud has no religious significance. IE, the story of Jesus and his message of a coming kingdom does not hinge on the authenticity of this (or any other) piece of cloth.
There is a scripture, a prophesy, (I confess to not being able to recall the citation) which stated that Jesus would be ugly. Again, I don't see how his appearance in any way changes his message nor should it change our response to it.
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:33:27 -0700, "Markndawoods"

The common impression of Jesus is based on cheap Victorian chromolithographs in Sunday School bibles. Holman Hunt's "Light of the World" being perhaps the most famous example of the genre.
Basically a European, white male hippy. They wouldn't look out of place in a Grateful dead T-shirt.
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:18:25 +0100, Andy Dingley

Amazing that a First Century Jew would look so UNLIKE present-day Sephardic Jews or anyone else who's lived in the Middle East in the previous thousand years or so. :)