aftermarket tale saw fence

Hello

Are there any good aftermarket table saw fence (something long)?

Thank

Reply to
Christian

House of tools in canada sells the general fence which is identical to the biesmeyer fence just cheaper

Reply to
hedgeog

Are there sume a bit cheaper ~120.00$

Cool thanks for the link

Thank

Reply to
Christian

Are there some a bit cheaper ~120.00$

Cool thanks for the link

Thank

Reply to
Christian

You want a cheap piecee of junk or a good one. Unifence-Bies are two of the best in not the two best. Also hear Ok thuings about Excaliber, Osbourne. I use Unifence with the might t track attachment. I couldn't design a better if I tried and I have,

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Reply to
RTH

Im looking a entry level table saw

and would like to do a small update to a the fence... all the different saw I looked at where almost the same with a different fence....

So since im on a budget (and im not a cabinet maker) im looking for the best entry level table saw and a decent fence upgrade...

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian

I have spent thousands of dollars on table saws and woodworking stuff in general and if I was to say what made the biggest difference in any tool I on it would be the fence on the table saw. I love tools more than woodworking so I pay particular attention to them. Has delta

34-444 (I think) contractors saw and used an old Rockwlell saw at work. It was an old 3 phase, HEAVY son -of-a-gun and a professional by all accounts so there was a difference between mine and the Rockwell. When I bought a Unifence for the heck of it off Ebay (back when it first started), I was absolutley startled, amazed, overwhelmed as soon as I out it it on by the difference it made. It still impresses me whenever I use it. I bought a Might-T-Track fence becaause I missed being able to put board buddies on it and feather boards so I bought it. I have friends who have had similar experiences with the Bies fence. I just happen to like the Unifence but would be happy with either. Don't know how to say this correctly but to me the fence makes the most important part of the saw.

>> Sometimes you can find a good deal on the Biesmeyer site for stuff they

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Christian, I have to be frank about this. The saw you are looking at is not going to be improved by adding a better fence. Save your money.

Honest, I had that same saw as my first. I used the saw for over a year and made some nice things on it. Buy the saw on sale, buy a better blade than what comes with it, and have at it. The miter slots are non-standard and the miter is a sloppy fit. That was my biggest beef with it. The fence works, but it will take a little more care to set up than say a Biesemeyer. Put in a new blade (figure $50 or so), adjust the curser on the fence and start cutting. Just take the time to measure from the blade to the fence to be sure it is set square before you make the cut.

My other complaint was the short table. Most saws in that price range are a few inches shorter than the $800 contractors saws. It makes it more difficult cross cutting a 1 x 8 as you can't get the miter to hold it without falling out of the slots.

Do not put any more into the saw than a good blade. Get a Freud Diablo, or Oldham, or one of the better brands and that will be the best upgrade you can do. If $200 is your budget, be happy with it. It cuts wood. Don't expect it to cut 12/4 oak, but for most 3/4 stock it will do you OK for a couple of years. I bought it not knowing if I'd like woodworking so it would not be a huge loss if I decided not to continue. I made doll cradles, benches, all sorts of things for the grandkids with it. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Christian:

I just wanted to second the Comments made by Edwin...

I am not a cabinet maker either but I honestly think you are wasting your money buying "that" saw then wanting to spend more money to upgrade the fence...

Bob GRiffiths

Reply to
Bob G

hey christian,

i too am on a budget, though my credit cards may not reflect it at times.

I picked up a used but in great shape craftsman saw. 10" belt driven with cast iron webbed wings for 150. not a gloat really, but it wasn't that far when i picked it up. bought a blade, freud 50T combo for 40. bought a PALS kit from woodcraft, and a pulley/link belt for

21 and 55 respectively. had to pick up a gear puller to get the arbor pulley off. 4 bucks from harbor freight. so to do the math

150 saw

40 blade 21 PALS 55 pulley/link belt 4 3 arm gear puller 4" 270 total 55 mobile base so that's 325 total so far on my saw.

now, i did see this saw however on ebay going for 100 bucks, and selling for 100 bucks. they just weren't within 100 miles of me. i saw saws like mine with stamped steel wings for under 100 bucks. some even with mobile bases.

the deals are out there to be had. if you don't mind shopping around for a while. it does take the momentum out of building a woodshop, but it allows you to buy more tools. :)

as for a fence... that's rough. i have a crappy fence. i need a new one, as it won't stay in alignment at all. for a sears bought fence, i hear the XR2424 ain't bad.

goodluck!

-danny

Reply to
bummster

My story goes like this.

Paid $200 for a Crapsman (includes mobile base). A new arbor, 2 - zero clearance inserts, Link belts and finally, 50" Accursquare fence from Mule Cabinetmaker ($229 including shipping)

$200 - Crapsman $17 - Arbor $15 - Link Belts $41 - 2, zero clearance Insert. $229 - An Accusquare 50" ripe fence (Price includes shipping).

So far I have already spent more or less $502. I am making a roll-away workshop (Popular Woodworking special issue Winter 2001) with my router and Crapsman.

I expecting to spend additional one to two hundred more to complete the project. I will also be installing Lee Valley router's insert that I bought earlier. Overall at the end of it I expect to about $800, Is it worth it? I really dunno???

Reply to
WD

When you absolutely need a saw you well never find one...However I attended an auction in the spring that was for household furniture and collectibles. Wife dragged me along...what can I say...

However I came home with a 9 inch contractors saw (Delta/Rockwell) that had a masonry blade on the arbor ..saw had no fence, no motor or anything sitting with it..BUT another box in the far corner of the sales floor contained everything... Heck I was the only bidder and gave them

10 bucks .... By the next weekend that saw was set up and it runs beautifully..passes the nickel test has no run out of the arbor... I made a sled for it and I now use it for crosscutting and save my Cabinet saw for other uses... lol

Good deals are out there ..usually when you are not in the market etc...Biggest bummer with this saw is that I have more in the sled and much more in the 9 inch blade I had to hunt long and hard to find..(sears btw) but now that I know this saw is darn good a Forrest will be ordered soon...

Also at this sale I picked up a 100 pound 37 inch tall bench top drill press for the I think 20 bucks...drill press is a Milwaukee (and I never knew they made a drill press..still not sure it is the same company that makes Milwaukee drills... But it also works like a charm...

Yep I spent 20-30 or so bucks ...invested another 50 a blade and materials and came home a happy camper...except the wife blew 100's of dollars on "collectable dust collectors"..and not the type of dust collectors you would use in the shop...!

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Next time drag me along too :-)

Reply to
WD

It's a good thing when she spends more than you do. Never a need to feel guilty and never a reason to lose an argument over money.

john carlson